Updated Jan 5, 2012 - 11:30 am
Were the Cardinals guilty of 'extra stuff'?
After all, both teams had been eliminated from playoff contention and were playing mostly for pride...and second place in the NFC West, for whatever that's worth.
But credit goes to both teams, they played hard for well over 60 minutes, with the Cardinals winning 23-20 in overtime. Things got chippy along the way, and Seahawks' coach Pete Carroll came out and accused the Cardinals of doing some "extra stuff" to Seattle runnning back Marshawn Lynch at the bottom of piles.
Brady Henderson, editor of MyNorthwest.com for Arizona Sports 620's sister station in Seattle, 710 ESPN, points out a few instances of "extra stuff" in a blog post.
One came in the first quarter after Lynch dragged a pile of defenders for several seconds. Darnell Dockett, one of two Cardinals to finally bring Lynch down, put his knee into his facemask while getting up. During the end of a tackle in the second quarter, Adrian Wilson pulled Lynch's helmet off and pushed it away from the pile. Lynch was visibly miffed while talking with Carroll on the sideline following that play.
The old saying is "you don't want to know what goes on at the bottom of piles in the NFL", so these "charges" don't exactly surprise anyone.
And Dockett and Wilson haven't exactly been on-field choir boys during their tenures with the Cardinals. Add that to the fact that Lynch is arguably the toughest runner in the league to bring down, and maybe, just maybe, some frustration set in.
This sounds like the beginning of another heated rivalry between the Cardinals and an NFC West foe -- which is exactly what the Cards, and the division, need.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.