Updated Jan 6, 2012 - 8:46 am
Cardinals' Horton to interview with Rams
This year, Ray Horton became Whisenhunt's third defensive coordinator in his five years at the helm. And there's at least a possibility that Whisenhunt will need to search for another d-coordinator for the 2012 season.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Cardinals' assistant is going to be interviewed by an NFC West foe about their head coaching position.
The Rams fired Steve Spagnuolo after a disappointing 2-14 season. Spagnuolo went 10-38 in three years with St. Louis.
Horton just finished his first year as a coordinator after spending seven years under Dick LeBeau with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Cardinals took a while to adjust to Horton's defensive scheme, but once they did, they became one of the more improved defenses in the league. Over their last nine games, of which they won seven, the Cardinals defense allowed an average of just 18.3 points per contest. They had allowed 26.4 points per game during their first 7 games, including four straight where opponents scored 30 or more.
Word out of St. Louis is that the Rams' first choice is former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher. Fisher reportedly met with team owner Stan Kroenke in Denver on Thursday. Fisher is also being pursued by the Miami Dolphins.
Another report out of St. Louis stated that the Rams could be interested in Cardinals' director of player personnel Steve Keim for their open GM job.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!