Updated Jan 6, 2012 - 8:46 am
Cardinals' Horton to interview with Rams
This year, Ray Horton became Whisenhunt's third defensive coordinator in his five years at the helm. And there's at least a possibility that Whisenhunt will need to search for another d-coordinator for the 2012 season.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Cardinals' assistant is going to be interviewed by an NFC West foe about their head coaching position.
The Rams fired Steve Spagnuolo after a disappointing 2-14 season. Spagnuolo went 10-38 in three years with St. Louis.
Horton just finished his first year as a coordinator after spending seven years under Dick LeBeau with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Cardinals took a while to adjust to Horton's defensive scheme, but once they did, they became one of the more improved defenses in the league. Over their last nine games, of which they won seven, the Cardinals defense allowed an average of just 18.3 points per contest. They had allowed 26.4 points per game during their first 7 games, including four straight where opponents scored 30 or more.
Word out of St. Louis is that the Rams' first choice is former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher. Fisher reportedly met with team owner Stan Kroenke in Denver on Thursday. Fisher is also being pursued by the Miami Dolphins.
Another report out of St. Louis stated that the Rams could be interested in Cardinals' director of player personnel Steve Keim for their open GM job.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.