Updated Jan 6, 2012 - 8:46 am
Cardinals' Horton to interview with Rams
This year, Ray Horton became Whisenhunt's third defensive coordinator in his five years at the helm. And there's at least a possibility that Whisenhunt will need to search for another d-coordinator for the 2012 season.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Cardinals' assistant is going to be interviewed by an NFC West foe about their head coaching position.
The Rams fired Steve Spagnuolo after a disappointing 2-14 season. Spagnuolo went 10-38 in three years with St. Louis.
Horton just finished his first year as a coordinator after spending seven years under Dick LeBeau with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
The Cardinals took a while to adjust to Horton's defensive scheme, but once they did, they became one of the more improved defenses in the league. Over their last nine games, of which they won seven, the Cardinals defense allowed an average of just 18.3 points per contest. They had allowed 26.4 points per game during their first 7 games, including four straight where opponents scored 30 or more.
Word out of St. Louis is that the Rams' first choice is former Tennessee Titans head coach Jeff Fisher. Fisher reportedly met with team owner Stan Kroenke in Denver on Thursday. Fisher is also being pursued by the Miami Dolphins.
Another report out of St. Louis stated that the Rams could be interested in Cardinals' director of player personnel Steve Keim for their open GM job.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.