Warner: Peyton Manning with Cardinals 'could be special'
But rumors never stop in sports, especially when former NFL executives spark them on national television.
Charley Casserly, a former front office guru with the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, and now an analyst with CBS Sports, dropped the "Peyton Manning to Cardinals" bomb during a Sunday telecast.
With the fuse lit, it's time to project.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Monday, and did just that.
"Nothing against Kevin Kolb or John Skelton and all those guys, but if you get a chance to get Peyton Manning, and you can pull that off, you get Peyton Manning because he's a once-in-a-lifetime type guy," Warner said.
"He's a special player, and if you add him to Larry Fitzgerald and the defense that they have here and maybe a couple other pieces around him, and it could be special."
Manning, of course, didn't take a snap this season after signing a 5-year, $90 million contract and undergoing two neck surgeries. The Colts may be interested in cutting the 4-time MVP because they own the top pick in this year's NFL Draft, and Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck is considered the most intriguing QB prospect since Manning himself entered the league in 1998.
While intrigued, Warner was careful not to get too caught up in Casserly's comments.
"It sounds like it's all speculation right now, so I don't think you jump too far down that road or on that bandwagon right now," he said.
He's also not sure that the Colts will be so anxious to cut Manning either.
"I just have a hard time believing that he won't be in Indianapolis regardless of who their pick is or who they can get," Warner said. "I don't think anybody wants to be the guy that lets Peyton Manning go if he can play football the way he's always played football."
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br