Updated Jan 9, 2012 - 2:07 pm
Warner: Peyton Manning with Cardinals 'could be special'
But rumors never stop in sports, especially when former NFL executives spark them on national television.
Charley Casserly, a former front office guru with the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, and now an analyst with CBS Sports, dropped the "Peyton Manning to Cardinals" bomb during a Sunday telecast.
With the fuse lit, it's time to project.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Monday, and did just that.
"Nothing against Kevin Kolb or John Skelton and all those guys, but if you get a chance to get Peyton Manning, and you can pull that off, you get Peyton Manning because he's a once-in-a-lifetime type guy," Warner said.
"He's a special player, and if you add him to Larry Fitzgerald and the defense that they have here and maybe a couple other pieces around him, and it could be special."
Manning, of course, didn't take a snap this season after signing a 5-year, $90 million contract and undergoing two neck surgeries. The Colts may be interested in cutting the 4-time MVP because they own the top pick in this year's NFL Draft, and Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck is considered the most intriguing QB prospect since Manning himself entered the league in 1998.
While intrigued, Warner was careful not to get too caught up in Casserly's comments.
"It sounds like it's all speculation right now, so I don't think you jump too far down that road or on that bandwagon right now," he said.
He's also not sure that the Colts will be so anxious to cut Manning either.
"I just have a hard time believing that he won't be in Indianapolis regardless of who their pick is or who they can get," Warner said. "I don't think anybody wants to be the guy that lets Peyton Manning go if he can play football the way he's always played football."
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?