Updated Jan 9, 2012 - 2:07 pm
Warner: Peyton Manning with Cardinals 'could be special'
But rumors never stop in sports, especially when former NFL executives spark them on national television.
Charley Casserly, a former front office guru with the Washington Redskins and Houston Texans, and now an analyst with CBS Sports, dropped the "Peyton Manning to Cardinals" bomb during a Sunday telecast.
With the fuse lit, it's time to project.
Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner joined Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 620 Monday, and did just that.
"Nothing against Kevin Kolb or John Skelton and all those guys, but if you get a chance to get Peyton Manning, and you can pull that off, you get Peyton Manning because he's a once-in-a-lifetime type guy," Warner said.
"He's a special player, and if you add him to Larry Fitzgerald and the defense that they have here and maybe a couple other pieces around him, and it could be special."
Manning, of course, didn't take a snap this season after signing a 5-year, $90 million contract and undergoing two neck surgeries. The Colts may be interested in cutting the 4-time MVP because they own the top pick in this year's NFL Draft, and Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck is considered the most intriguing QB prospect since Manning himself entered the league in 1998.
While intrigued, Warner was careful not to get too caught up in Casserly's comments.
"It sounds like it's all speculation right now, so I don't think you jump too far down that road or on that bandwagon right now," he said.
He's also not sure that the Colts will be so anxious to cut Manning either.
"I just have a hard time believing that he won't be in Indianapolis regardless of who their pick is or who they can get," Warner said. "I don't think anybody wants to be the guy that lets Peyton Manning go if he can play football the way he's always played football."
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.