Updated Jan 12, 2012 - 9:50 am
Cards' draft looks even better after one season
But does anybody really know how these players will adjust to the pro ranks and actually help their team? The answer to that question is a resounding 'no'.
That's why it's refreshing when draft experts revisit what happened on draft night, and assign new grades for teams based on what actually happened on the football field. ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. did just that, and the Arizona Cardinals received a slightly higher grade for their draft night activities after one season.
Kiper originally gave the Cards a B- for a draft that included 5th overall pick Patrick Peterson out of LSU and running back Ryan Williams from Virginia Tech.
After the season, Kiper gave the Cardinals a B. Why?
What isn't debatable, however, is that Peterson is the real deal. I gave the Cards an A-minus for value because Peterson was No. 1 on my Big Board going into the season. He needed refinement at corner, but his improvement was steady from Week 1 through Week 17, and he's right there with Devin Hester already as one of the most dangerous return men in the league.
Peterson is headed to the Pro Bowl as the NFC kick returner after tying an NFL record with four punt returns for touchdowns. He was also the only rookie on the AP All-Pro Team released earlier this week.
Of course, Williams was unable to help the Cardinals' revisited grade because he suffered a ruptured patellar tendon in his right knee in the preseason and spent the year on injured reserve.
Kiper also lauds fourth round pick Sam Acho, who had 7 sacks and cracked the starting lineup at outside linebacker midway through the season, and 6th round pick David Carter (16 tackles, 1 sack) for adding depth.
Check out Kiper's entire regrading of the 2011 NFL Draft here (must be an ESPN Insider).
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.