Updated Jan 13, 2012 - 1:56 pm
Jeff Fisher in NFC West makes challenge for Cards
Fisher did not coach this past season, as he was fired from the Titans in January 2011 after spending 16 seasons with the team. He has a coaching record of 142-120 and led the team to four division championships. Fisher also suffered a 23-16 loss to the Rams and Kurt Warner's MVP performance in the 1999 Super Bowl.
Moving to the NFC West means the Arizona Cardinals will have a coach in their division that relies heavily on defense and carries a record of 2-2 against them since 1994.
The last time they met, Arizona lost 20-17 after Vince Young led the Titans 99 yards in the final 2:37, finding Kenny Britt for a TD as time expired.
The Cardinals' wins against Fisher came in 1994, after the coach took over the then-Houston Oilers on an interim basis, and in 2005, when Josh McCown led the Cardinals to a 20-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Fisher's hiring in St. Louis can boost the power of the NFC West, as he is the fourth head coach in the division with playoff experience under his belt.
The 2-14 Rams have the second pick in the 2012 NFL Draft and a young quarterback in Sam Bradford, who has yet to see a winning season since coming from the University of Oklahoma in 2010.
Fisher also has the chance of hiring his own general manager and the opportunity of rebuilding a franchise that has not had a winning record since 2003.
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.