Updated Jan 13, 2012 - 1:56 pm
Jeff Fisher in NFC West makes challenge for Cards
Fisher did not coach this past season, as he was fired from the Titans in January 2011 after spending 16 seasons with the team. He has a coaching record of 142-120 and led the team to four division championships. Fisher also suffered a 23-16 loss to the Rams and Kurt Warner's MVP performance in the 1999 Super Bowl.
Moving to the NFC West means the Arizona Cardinals will have a coach in their division that relies heavily on defense and carries a record of 2-2 against them since 1994.
The last time they met, Arizona lost 20-17 after Vince Young led the Titans 99 yards in the final 2:37, finding Kenny Britt for a TD as time expired.
The Cardinals' wins against Fisher came in 1994, after the coach took over the then-Houston Oilers on an interim basis, and in 2005, when Josh McCown led the Cardinals to a 20-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Fisher's hiring in St. Louis can boost the power of the NFC West, as he is the fourth head coach in the division with playoff experience under his belt.
The 2-14 Rams have the second pick in the 2012 NFL Draft and a young quarterback in Sam Bradford, who has yet to see a winning season since coming from the University of Oklahoma in 2010.
Fisher also has the chance of hiring his own general manager and the opportunity of rebuilding a franchise that has not had a winning record since 2003.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.