Updated Jan 13, 2012 - 1:56 pm
Jeff Fisher in NFC West makes challenge for Cards
Fisher did not coach this past season, as he was fired from the Titans in January 2011 after spending 16 seasons with the team. He has a coaching record of 142-120 and led the team to four division championships. Fisher also suffered a 23-16 loss to the Rams and Kurt Warner's MVP performance in the 1999 Super Bowl.
Moving to the NFC West means the Arizona Cardinals will have a coach in their division that relies heavily on defense and carries a record of 2-2 against them since 1994.
The last time they met, Arizona lost 20-17 after Vince Young led the Titans 99 yards in the final 2:37, finding Kenny Britt for a TD as time expired.
The Cardinals' wins against Fisher came in 1994, after the coach took over the then-Houston Oilers on an interim basis, and in 2005, when Josh McCown led the Cardinals to a 20-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Fisher's hiring in St. Louis can boost the power of the NFC West, as he is the fourth head coach in the division with playoff experience under his belt.
The 2-14 Rams have the second pick in the 2012 NFL Draft and a young quarterback in Sam Bradford, who has yet to see a winning season since coming from the University of Oklahoma in 2010.
Fisher also has the chance of hiring his own general manager and the opportunity of rebuilding a franchise that has not had a winning record since 2003.
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.