Updated Jan 13, 2012 - 1:56 pm
Jeff Fisher in NFC West makes challenge for Cards
Fisher did not coach this past season, as he was fired from the Titans in January 2011 after spending 16 seasons with the team. He has a coaching record of 142-120 and led the team to four division championships. Fisher also suffered a 23-16 loss to the Rams and Kurt Warner's MVP performance in the 1999 Super Bowl.
Moving to the NFC West means the Arizona Cardinals will have a coach in their division that relies heavily on defense and carries a record of 2-2 against them since 1994.
The last time they met, Arizona lost 20-17 after Vince Young led the Titans 99 yards in the final 2:37, finding Kenny Britt for a TD as time expired.
The Cardinals' wins against Fisher came in 1994, after the coach took over the then-Houston Oilers on an interim basis, and in 2005, when Josh McCown led the Cardinals to a 20-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium.
Fisher's hiring in St. Louis can boost the power of the NFC West, as he is the fourth head coach in the division with playoff experience under his belt.
The 2-14 Rams have the second pick in the 2012 NFL Draft and a young quarterback in Sam Bradford, who has yet to see a winning season since coming from the University of Oklahoma in 2010.
Fisher also has the chance of hiring his own general manager and the opportunity of rebuilding a franchise that has not had a winning record since 2003.
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Report: Arizona Cardinals bring James Harrison in for a visit
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.