Updated Jan 24, 2012 - 10:17 am
Steelers OC Bruce Arians talks with Cardinals
Former head coaches Todd Haley and Hue Jackson have been linked to the Cards, and now Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has seen his name come up in the conversation.
Former Steelers OC Bruce Arians still intending to retire but has had talks with teams, including AZ. Has ties to their staff #insideslant— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 24, 2012
Arians, 59, reportedly retired from the Steelers only because the team did not offer him a contract extension.
That, of course, would open the door for him to continue his coaching career somewhere else, and as LaCanfora notes, there are ties to the staff in Arizona.
Arians would likely be a good fit in Arizona not only because of his familiarity with the coaching staff and schemes, but also his work with QB Ben Roethlisberger. Say what you want about the guy as a person, but there is little doubt Big Ben has turned into one of the game's best signal callers over the years, and Arians played a significant role in his development.
In fact, Arians was so important to Roethlisberger that the QB publicly campaigned for the coach to keep his job after the 2009 season and is not at all happy to see him go now.
The main reason he was let go, supposedly, is the Steelers' desire to go back to the run-based offense they were known for instead of the pass-heavy system they featured the last couple seasons.
Arians has been Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator since being promoted to the job in 2007, replacing Ken Whisenhunt when he left to lead the Cardinals. He was the team's receivers coach prior to then.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!