Updated Jan 24, 2012 - 10:17 am
Steelers OC Bruce Arians talks with Cardinals
Former head coaches Todd Haley and Hue Jackson have been linked to the Cards, and now Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has seen his name come up in the conversation.
Former Steelers OC Bruce Arians still intending to retire but has had talks with teams, including AZ. Has ties to their staff #insideslant— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) January 24, 2012
Arians, 59, reportedly retired from the Steelers only because the team did not offer him a contract extension.
That, of course, would open the door for him to continue his coaching career somewhere else, and as LaCanfora notes, there are ties to the staff in Arizona.
Arians would likely be a good fit in Arizona not only because of his familiarity with the coaching staff and schemes, but also his work with QB Ben Roethlisberger. Say what you want about the guy as a person, but there is little doubt Big Ben has turned into one of the game's best signal callers over the years, and Arians played a significant role in his development.
In fact, Arians was so important to Roethlisberger that the QB publicly campaigned for the coach to keep his job after the 2009 season and is not at all happy to see him go now.
The main reason he was let go, supposedly, is the Steelers' desire to go back to the run-based offense they were known for instead of the pass-heavy system they featured the last couple seasons.
Arians has been Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator since being promoted to the job in 2007, replacing Ken Whisenhunt when he left to lead the Cardinals. He was the team's receivers coach prior to then.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.