Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 9:43 am
Manning to Cardinals? Maybe not...
Manning's future was a hot topic in Peter King's Monday Morning QB column on SI.com.
Manning might be fine and ready to play football in 2012, and maybe even a year or two beyond that. Or he might wake up on March 1 and not feel fit enough, and get his release from the Colts, and then spend more time rehabbing, trying to get fit enough and strong enough in the neck and arm to play this year. Or he might say, with new twins in the house, it's all not worth the risk.
King also referenced longtime NFL executive Gil Brandt, who said, "my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the last of Peyton."
Another layer of speculation was heaped on Sunday night during NBC's coverage of the Pro Bowl, when Manning's former head coach Tony Dungy dropped his thoughts on the future of #18.
"I do not think he's going to play for another team," Dungy said. "If he's healthy enough, he'll play for the Colts. If he's not healthy enough, he'll retire."
Pretty strong words from a man who spent seven seasons with Manning as his quarterback.
Dungy's statement came just hours after Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to refute an NFL Network claim that the decision to waive Manning was made weeks ago.
A lot will play out over the next five weeks, at which time the Colts have a decision to make on their 4-time MVP, but these latest developments don't paint a promising picture that Manning will spend 2012 in Arizona -- or anywhere other than Indianapolis for that matter.
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves