Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 9:43 am
Manning to Cardinals? Maybe not...
Manning's future was a hot topic in Peter King's Monday Morning QB column on SI.com.
Manning might be fine and ready to play football in 2012, and maybe even a year or two beyond that. Or he might wake up on March 1 and not feel fit enough, and get his release from the Colts, and then spend more time rehabbing, trying to get fit enough and strong enough in the neck and arm to play this year. Or he might say, with new twins in the house, it's all not worth the risk.
King also referenced longtime NFL executive Gil Brandt, who said, "my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the last of Peyton."
Another layer of speculation was heaped on Sunday night during NBC's coverage of the Pro Bowl, when Manning's former head coach Tony Dungy dropped his thoughts on the future of #18.
"I do not think he's going to play for another team," Dungy said. "If he's healthy enough, he'll play for the Colts. If he's not healthy enough, he'll retire."
Pretty strong words from a man who spent seven seasons with Manning as his quarterback.
Dungy's statement came just hours after Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to refute an NFL Network claim that the decision to waive Manning was made weeks ago.
A lot will play out over the next five weeks, at which time the Colts have a decision to make on their 4-time MVP, but these latest developments don't paint a promising picture that Manning will spend 2012 in Arizona -- or anywhere other than Indianapolis for that matter.
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Arizona Cardinals' 2014 schedule released
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinals’ draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.