Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 9:43 am
Manning to Cardinals? Maybe not...
Manning's future was a hot topic in Peter King's Monday Morning QB column on SI.com.
Manning might be fine and ready to play football in 2012, and maybe even a year or two beyond that. Or he might wake up on March 1 and not feel fit enough, and get his release from the Colts, and then spend more time rehabbing, trying to get fit enough and strong enough in the neck and arm to play this year. Or he might say, with new twins in the house, it's all not worth the risk.
King also referenced longtime NFL executive Gil Brandt, who said, "my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the last of Peyton."
Another layer of speculation was heaped on Sunday night during NBC's coverage of the Pro Bowl, when Manning's former head coach Tony Dungy dropped his thoughts on the future of #18.
"I do not think he's going to play for another team," Dungy said. "If he's healthy enough, he'll play for the Colts. If he's not healthy enough, he'll retire."
Pretty strong words from a man who spent seven seasons with Manning as his quarterback.
Dungy's statement came just hours after Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to refute an NFL Network claim that the decision to waive Manning was made weeks ago.
A lot will play out over the next five weeks, at which time the Colts have a decision to make on their 4-time MVP, but these latest developments don't paint a promising picture that Manning will spend 2012 in Arizona -- or anywhere other than Indianapolis for that matter.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.