Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 9:43 am
Manning to Cardinals? Maybe not...
Manning's future was a hot topic in Peter King's Monday Morning QB column on SI.com.
Manning might be fine and ready to play football in 2012, and maybe even a year or two beyond that. Or he might wake up on March 1 and not feel fit enough, and get his release from the Colts, and then spend more time rehabbing, trying to get fit enough and strong enough in the neck and arm to play this year. Or he might say, with new twins in the house, it's all not worth the risk.
King also referenced longtime NFL executive Gil Brandt, who said, "my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the last of Peyton."
Another layer of speculation was heaped on Sunday night during NBC's coverage of the Pro Bowl, when Manning's former head coach Tony Dungy dropped his thoughts on the future of #18.
"I do not think he's going to play for another team," Dungy said. "If he's healthy enough, he'll play for the Colts. If he's not healthy enough, he'll retire."
Pretty strong words from a man who spent seven seasons with Manning as his quarterback.
Dungy's statement came just hours after Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to refute an NFL Network claim that the decision to waive Manning was made weeks ago.
A lot will play out over the next five weeks, at which time the Colts have a decision to make on their 4-time MVP, but these latest developments don't paint a promising picture that Manning will spend 2012 in Arizona -- or anywhere other than Indianapolis for that matter.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.