Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 9:43 am
Manning to Cardinals? Maybe not...
Manning's future was a hot topic in Peter King's Monday Morning QB column on SI.com.
Manning might be fine and ready to play football in 2012, and maybe even a year or two beyond that. Or he might wake up on March 1 and not feel fit enough, and get his release from the Colts, and then spend more time rehabbing, trying to get fit enough and strong enough in the neck and arm to play this year. Or he might say, with new twins in the house, it's all not worth the risk.
King also referenced longtime NFL executive Gil Brandt, who said, "my gut feeling is that we've probably seen the last of Peyton."
Another layer of speculation was heaped on Sunday night during NBC's coverage of the Pro Bowl, when Manning's former head coach Tony Dungy dropped his thoughts on the future of #18.
"I do not think he's going to play for another team," Dungy said. "If he's healthy enough, he'll play for the Colts. If he's not healthy enough, he'll retire."
Pretty strong words from a man who spent seven seasons with Manning as his quarterback.
Dungy's statement came just hours after Colts owner Jim Irsay took to Twitter to refute an NFL Network claim that the decision to waive Manning was made weeks ago.
A lot will play out over the next five weeks, at which time the Colts have a decision to make on their 4-time MVP, but these latest developments don't paint a promising picture that Manning will spend 2012 in Arizona -- or anywhere other than Indianapolis for that matter.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.