Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 7:59 pm
NFL great doesn't want Peyton Manning in Arizona
Sounds good, doesn't it?
Well, to many of us yes, yes it does. But for former NFL QB and current NFL analyst Joe Theismann, that's not exactly the case.
"If he can go out and play, let him be an Indianapolis Colt," Theismann told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Theismann said the issue with Manning going somewhere else is that the new team is not "getting a quarterback," but instead getting a player who spent 14 years in a system and is the offensive coordinator.
"In his 15th year of football, what sense does it make going to a team for a couple of years, especially with very little around him," he asked.
That the Cardinals would have very little to surround Manning with is up for debate, but Theismann is right when he says it is not as simple as just adding a new QB and watching him throw darts all over the field. NFL offenses are complex, and it takes time for a player to fully grasp his responsibilities.
"It would be a bad move for Arizona to take him," Theismann said, adding that it would be a bad idea for Manning to leave Indianapolis for any other team, Cardinals or not.
"The only move he should make out of Indianapolis is to a couch," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals: Wins meaningless without playoffs
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Dave Pasch, Cardinals radio announcer - Friday December 13Pasch gives his thoughts on this weekend's Cardinals game against the Titans.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.