Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 7:59 pm
NFL great doesn't want Peyton Manning in Arizona
Sounds good, doesn't it?
Well, to many of us yes, yes it does. But for former NFL QB and current NFL analyst Joe Theismann, that's not exactly the case.
"If he can go out and play, let him be an Indianapolis Colt," Theismann told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Theismann said the issue with Manning going somewhere else is that the new team is not "getting a quarterback," but instead getting a player who spent 14 years in a system and is the offensive coordinator.
"In his 15th year of football, what sense does it make going to a team for a couple of years, especially with very little around him," he asked.
That the Cardinals would have very little to surround Manning with is up for debate, but Theismann is right when he says it is not as simple as just adding a new QB and watching him throw darts all over the field. NFL offenses are complex, and it takes time for a player to fully grasp his responsibilities.
"It would be a bad move for Arizona to take him," Theismann said, adding that it would be a bad idea for Manning to leave Indianapolis for any other team, Cardinals or not.
"The only move he should make out of Indianapolis is to a couch," he said.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.