Updated Jan 30, 2012 - 7:59 pm
NFL great doesn't want Peyton Manning in Arizona
Sounds good, doesn't it?
Well, to many of us yes, yes it does. But for former NFL QB and current NFL analyst Joe Theismann, that's not exactly the case.
"If he can go out and play, let him be an Indianapolis Colt," Theismann told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday.
Theismann said the issue with Manning going somewhere else is that the new team is not "getting a quarterback," but instead getting a player who spent 14 years in a system and is the offensive coordinator.
"In his 15th year of football, what sense does it make going to a team for a couple of years, especially with very little around him," he asked.
That the Cardinals would have very little to surround Manning with is up for debate, but Theismann is right when he says it is not as simple as just adding a new QB and watching him throw darts all over the field. NFL offenses are complex, and it takes time for a player to fully grasp his responsibilities.
"It would be a bad move for Arizona to take him," Theismann said, adding that it would be a bad idea for Manning to leave Indianapolis for any other team, Cardinals or not.
"The only move he should make out of Indianapolis is to a couch," he said.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.