Updated Jan 31, 2012 - 10:59 am
Tampa Bay not giving up on adding Cardinals assistant
McNulty is under contract with the Cardinals, however, and the team has refused to let him interview for the job, meaning Schiano and his team should be moving on to another candidate. Or not.
According to the Tampa Bay Times, the Bucs still hope they'll be able to pry McNulty away from Arizona.
Considering the investment the Bucs have in quarterback Josh Freeman, offensive coordinator is arguably the most critical hire on Schiano's staff. It's believed that Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt made the call on prohibiting McNulty from interviewing with the Bucs.
Because it's such an important hire, the Bucs still are working behind the scenes to acquire McNulty, the Times confirmed. The effort may include an appeal directly to Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill. But it's hard to imagine the Cardinals reversing course at this point.
Chances are the Bidwills will not go behind their coach's back and let McNulty interview for the job, but it the fact that the team's WR coach is being courted to be another squad's offensive coordinator speaks volumes about what kind of staff Whisenhunt has assembled.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!