Updated Jan 31, 2012 - 4:59 pm
Cardinals have intriguing, iffy options at QB
Kevin Kolb and John Skelton combined to lead the team to an 8-8 record, but they also amassed just 20 touchdowns against 22 interceptions, while completing roughly 56 percent of their passes.
ESPN's Trent Dilfer ranked all of the NFL's QBs in an Insider piece, and the Cardinals' pair of signal callers were about where they should have been.
Kolb, for instance, was placed in the group's "Could Go Either Way" category.
League perception says there's a lot of talent, as did Arizona's commitment. But we really don't know anything yet.
Kolb started just nine games last season -- finishing eight -- and while he wasn't particularly impressive, he wasn't exactly a disaster, either. So, to say not much is known about him would be fair, though at 27, time is running out on the former Eagle to show he is a capable NFL starter.
Skelton, on the other hand, landed in the "Intriguing Wild Cards" group.
He had his own Tebow stretch, going 5-2 as a starter, minus any of the publicity. Probably still on the backup path in terms of trajectory, but answered some questions about whether he belongs.
It may be a bit unfair to label Skelton as a likely backup, but such is life for a player who was selected out of a small school in the fifth round of the draft. Skelton could be credited for six of the Cardinals' eight wins last season, and he made some really good throws. However, he also made some really, really bad ones, looking every bit the project that he is.
So, what does it all mean for the Cardinals? At the very least, they actually have some options at quarterback, which is more than anyone was able to say just one year ago.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up