Updated Jan 31, 2012 - 4:59 pm
Cardinals have intriguing, iffy options at QB
Kevin Kolb and John Skelton combined to lead the team to an 8-8 record, but they also amassed just 20 touchdowns against 22 interceptions, while completing roughly 56 percent of their passes.
ESPN's Trent Dilfer ranked all of the NFL's QBs in an Insider piece, and the Cardinals' pair of signal callers were about where they should have been.
Kolb, for instance, was placed in the group's "Could Go Either Way" category.
League perception says there's a lot of talent, as did Arizona's commitment. But we really don't know anything yet.
Kolb started just nine games last season -- finishing eight -- and while he wasn't particularly impressive, he wasn't exactly a disaster, either. So, to say not much is known about him would be fair, though at 27, time is running out on the former Eagle to show he is a capable NFL starter.
Skelton, on the other hand, landed in the "Intriguing Wild Cards" group.
He had his own Tebow stretch, going 5-2 as a starter, minus any of the publicity. Probably still on the backup path in terms of trajectory, but answered some questions about whether he belongs.
It may be a bit unfair to label Skelton as a likely backup, but such is life for a player who was selected out of a small school in the fifth round of the draft. Skelton could be credited for six of the Cardinals' eight wins last season, and he made some really good throws. However, he also made some really, really bad ones, looking every bit the project that he is.
So, what does it all mean for the Cardinals? At the very least, they actually have some options at quarterback, which is more than anyone was able to say just one year ago.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.