Updated Jan 31, 2012 - 4:59 pm
Cardinals have intriguing, iffy options at QB
Kevin Kolb and John Skelton combined to lead the team to an 8-8 record, but they also amassed just 20 touchdowns against 22 interceptions, while completing roughly 56 percent of their passes.
ESPN's Trent Dilfer ranked all of the NFL's QBs in an Insider piece, and the Cardinals' pair of signal callers were about where they should have been.
Kolb, for instance, was placed in the group's "Could Go Either Way" category.
League perception says there's a lot of talent, as did Arizona's commitment. But we really don't know anything yet.
Kolb started just nine games last season -- finishing eight -- and while he wasn't particularly impressive, he wasn't exactly a disaster, either. So, to say not much is known about him would be fair, though at 27, time is running out on the former Eagle to show he is a capable NFL starter.
Skelton, on the other hand, landed in the "Intriguing Wild Cards" group.
He had his own Tebow stretch, going 5-2 as a starter, minus any of the publicity. Probably still on the backup path in terms of trajectory, but answered some questions about whether he belongs.
It may be a bit unfair to label Skelton as a likely backup, but such is life for a player who was selected out of a small school in the fifth round of the draft. Skelton could be credited for six of the Cardinals' eight wins last season, and he made some really good throws. However, he also made some really, really bad ones, looking every bit the project that he is.
So, what does it all mean for the Cardinals? At the very least, they actually have some options at quarterback, which is more than anyone was able to say just one year ago.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.