Updated Feb 2, 2012 - 9:58 am
Fitzgerald: Every receiver would love to play with Peyton Manning
The team's best player, it was thought (true or not) Fitz had some say in who the team was targeting. At the very least, the hope to sign the Pro Bowler to a contract extension had to have played a role in the move to go out and get a guy like Kevin Kolb, who was considered by many to be the best QB on the market.
Things didn't work out as planned in Kolb's first season with the Cardinals, and while Fitzgerald isn't campaigning for the team to get a new signal caller, he said he'd like to play with one who could be on the market very soon.
"Everybody, you play receiver, would love to play with a quarterback like Peyton Manning," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "I think Peyton Manning should be in contention for winning the MVP this season. That's how valuable he is to this league and obviously how valuable he is to the Indianapolis Colts."
The Colts, once a perennial playoff team, slipped to 2-14 last season, with Manning not playing a single snap due to a neck injury. Set to take Stanford QB Andrew Luck with the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft, the Colts could part with their MVP, giving the rest of the NFL a chance to get one of the game's best players.
And, since there have been plenty of reports linking the Cards to Manning, it's possible one of the team's current QBs could be a bit miffed at the idea of possibly being replaced.
"Obviously Peyton is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and a lot of teams are going to be interested," Fitzgerald said. "They might not be unhappy with their quarterback play, but you know Peyton is an upgrade to what you already have.
"I think there'd probably be some feelings hurt."
Maybe so, but that's a risk the Cardinals would have to take.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up