Updated Feb 2, 2012 - 9:58 am
Fitzgerald: Every receiver would love to play with Peyton Manning
The team's best player, it was thought (true or not) Fitz had some say in who the team was targeting. At the very least, the hope to sign the Pro Bowler to a contract extension had to have played a role in the move to go out and get a guy like Kevin Kolb, who was considered by many to be the best QB on the market.
Things didn't work out as planned in Kolb's first season with the Cardinals, and while Fitzgerald isn't campaigning for the team to get a new signal caller, he said he'd like to play with one who could be on the market very soon.
"Everybody, you play receiver, would love to play with a quarterback like Peyton Manning," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "I think Peyton Manning should be in contention for winning the MVP this season. That's how valuable he is to this league and obviously how valuable he is to the Indianapolis Colts."
The Colts, once a perennial playoff team, slipped to 2-14 last season, with Manning not playing a single snap due to a neck injury. Set to take Stanford QB Andrew Luck with the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft, the Colts could part with their MVP, giving the rest of the NFL a chance to get one of the game's best players.
And, since there have been plenty of reports linking the Cards to Manning, it's possible one of the team's current QBs could be a bit miffed at the idea of possibly being replaced.
"Obviously Peyton is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and a lot of teams are going to be interested," Fitzgerald said. "They might not be unhappy with their quarterback play, but you know Peyton is an upgrade to what you already have.
"I think there'd probably be some feelings hurt."
Maybe so, but that's a risk the Cardinals would have to take.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.