Updated Feb 2, 2012 - 9:58 am
Fitzgerald: Every receiver would love to play with Peyton Manning
The team's best player, it was thought (true or not) Fitz had some say in who the team was targeting. At the very least, the hope to sign the Pro Bowler to a contract extension had to have played a role in the move to go out and get a guy like Kevin Kolb, who was considered by many to be the best QB on the market.
Things didn't work out as planned in Kolb's first season with the Cardinals, and while Fitzgerald isn't campaigning for the team to get a new signal caller, he said he'd like to play with one who could be on the market very soon.
"Everybody, you play receiver, would love to play with a quarterback like Peyton Manning," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "I think Peyton Manning should be in contention for winning the MVP this season. That's how valuable he is to this league and obviously how valuable he is to the Indianapolis Colts."
The Colts, once a perennial playoff team, slipped to 2-14 last season, with Manning not playing a single snap due to a neck injury. Set to take Stanford QB Andrew Luck with the number one overall pick in the NFL Draft, the Colts could part with their MVP, giving the rest of the NFL a chance to get one of the game's best players.
And, since there have been plenty of reports linking the Cards to Manning, it's possible one of the team's current QBs could be a bit miffed at the idea of possibly being replaced.
"Obviously Peyton is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and a lot of teams are going to be interested," Fitzgerald said. "They might not be unhappy with their quarterback play, but you know Peyton is an upgrade to what you already have.
"I think there'd probably be some feelings hurt."
Maybe so, but that's a risk the Cardinals would have to take.
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b