Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 10:00 am
ESPN's Clayton throws cold water on Manning to AZ talk
However, Tuesday ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m. on Arizona Sports 620) and went "against the grain" and doubted whether the Manning-Arizona marriage will ever happen.
"I still don't think Bill Bidwill is going to pay two years for two quarterbacks because he already paid last year for Kevin Kolb," Clayton said.
Of course, the Cardinals traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick to Philadelphia for Kolb, and then rewarded their new signal caller with a 5-year, $63 million contract -- of which $21 million is guaranteed.
Kolb is also due a $7 million roster bonus by St. Patrick's Day.
In fact, Clayton didn't even include the Cardinals in the list of suitors for Manning. "He already knows the principals that will be involved," he said. "He knows that Washington, Miami, maybe the New York Jets, possibly Seattle -- those will be the teams that are going to be out there making the phone calls."
Clayton's thinking is in direct contrast with handicappers who have installed Arizona as the favorite among possible new destinations for Manning.
In other Manning to Arizona news, Cardinals' Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald refuted rumors of his alleged dinner with the quarterback. Fitzgerald, while making a promotional appearance at a Valley cell phone store, said he hasn't spoken to Manning since the 2011 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.