Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 10:00 am
ESPN's Clayton throws cold water on Manning to AZ talk
However, Tuesday ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m. on Arizona Sports 620) and went "against the grain" and doubted whether the Manning-Arizona marriage will ever happen.
"I still don't think Bill Bidwill is going to pay two years for two quarterbacks because he already paid last year for Kevin Kolb," Clayton said.
Of course, the Cardinals traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick to Philadelphia for Kolb, and then rewarded their new signal caller with a 5-year, $63 million contract -- of which $21 million is guaranteed.
Kolb is also due a $7 million roster bonus by St. Patrick's Day.
In fact, Clayton didn't even include the Cardinals in the list of suitors for Manning. "He already knows the principals that will be involved," he said. "He knows that Washington, Miami, maybe the New York Jets, possibly Seattle -- those will be the teams that are going to be out there making the phone calls."
Clayton's thinking is in direct contrast with handicappers who have installed Arizona as the favorite among possible new destinations for Manning.
In other Manning to Arizona news, Cardinals' Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald refuted rumors of his alleged dinner with the quarterback. Fitzgerald, while making a promotional appearance at a Valley cell phone store, said he hasn't spoken to Manning since the 2011 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?