Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 10:00 am
ESPN's Clayton throws cold water on Manning to AZ talk
However, Tuesday ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m. on Arizona Sports 620) and went "against the grain" and doubted whether the Manning-Arizona marriage will ever happen.
"I still don't think Bill Bidwill is going to pay two years for two quarterbacks because he already paid last year for Kevin Kolb," Clayton said.
Of course, the Cardinals traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick to Philadelphia for Kolb, and then rewarded their new signal caller with a 5-year, $63 million contract -- of which $21 million is guaranteed.
Kolb is also due a $7 million roster bonus by St. Patrick's Day.
In fact, Clayton didn't even include the Cardinals in the list of suitors for Manning. "He already knows the principals that will be involved," he said. "He knows that Washington, Miami, maybe the New York Jets, possibly Seattle -- those will be the teams that are going to be out there making the phone calls."
Clayton's thinking is in direct contrast with handicappers who have installed Arizona as the favorite among possible new destinations for Manning.
In other Manning to Arizona news, Cardinals' Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald refuted rumors of his alleged dinner with the quarterback. Fitzgerald, while making a promotional appearance at a Valley cell phone store, said he hasn't spoken to Manning since the 2011 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves