Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 10:00 am
ESPN's Clayton throws cold water on Manning to AZ talk
However, Tuesday ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m. on Arizona Sports 620) and went "against the grain" and doubted whether the Manning-Arizona marriage will ever happen.
"I still don't think Bill Bidwill is going to pay two years for two quarterbacks because he already paid last year for Kevin Kolb," Clayton said.
Of course, the Cardinals traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick to Philadelphia for Kolb, and then rewarded their new signal caller with a 5-year, $63 million contract -- of which $21 million is guaranteed.
Kolb is also due a $7 million roster bonus by St. Patrick's Day.
In fact, Clayton didn't even include the Cardinals in the list of suitors for Manning. "He already knows the principals that will be involved," he said. "He knows that Washington, Miami, maybe the New York Jets, possibly Seattle -- those will be the teams that are going to be out there making the phone calls."
Clayton's thinking is in direct contrast with handicappers who have installed Arizona as the favorite among possible new destinations for Manning.
In other Manning to Arizona news, Cardinals' Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald refuted rumors of his alleged dinner with the quarterback. Fitzgerald, while making a promotional appearance at a Valley cell phone store, said he hasn't spoken to Manning since the 2011 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.