Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 10:00 am
ESPN's Clayton throws cold water on Manning to AZ talk
However, Tuesday ESPN NFL insider John Clayton appeared on ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike (mornings 5 to 9 a.m. on Arizona Sports 620) and went "against the grain" and doubted whether the Manning-Arizona marriage will ever happen.
"I still don't think Bill Bidwill is going to pay two years for two quarterbacks because he already paid last year for Kevin Kolb," Clayton said.
Of course, the Cardinals traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick to Philadelphia for Kolb, and then rewarded their new signal caller with a 5-year, $63 million contract -- of which $21 million is guaranteed.
Kolb is also due a $7 million roster bonus by St. Patrick's Day.
In fact, Clayton didn't even include the Cardinals in the list of suitors for Manning. "He already knows the principals that will be involved," he said. "He knows that Washington, Miami, maybe the New York Jets, possibly Seattle -- those will be the teams that are going to be out there making the phone calls."
Clayton's thinking is in direct contrast with handicappers who have installed Arizona as the favorite among possible new destinations for Manning.
In other Manning to Arizona news, Cardinals' Pro Bowl receiver Larry Fitzgerald refuted rumors of his alleged dinner with the quarterback. Fitzgerald, while making a promotional appearance at a Valley cell phone store, said he hasn't spoken to Manning since the 2011 Pro Bowl in Hawaii.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.