Updated Feb 7, 2012 - 6:55 pm
ESPN insider: Money could be sticking point with Cardinals, Manning
ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf that Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill would not pay for two quarterbacks in two years.
"They were not cheap in anything they did in last offseason," Clayton said. "They put a lot of money out in free agency; they put a lot of money out in the Kevin Kolb trade. I just don't know if they're ready to say goodbye to Kevin Kolb in one year."
Clayton said that it is very likely the Indianapolis Colts will release Manning because the organization is heading in a new direction. However, no matter how enticing it would be for a MVP quarterback to be able to throw to Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals would have to either give up Kolb, or spend more money to keep both.
The Cards traded cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round draft pick for Kolb last summer, and then signed him to a five-year, $64 million contract with $21 million guaranteed.
Kolb threw 1,955 yards averaging 7.73 yards per pass attempt in 2011. He had nine passing touchdowns, but fumbled seven times and threw eight interceptions.
Kolb, 27, would be difficult to give up, which could leave the franchise placing their hope in the recuperating Manning.
Clayton also emphasized that it's not a matter of being cheap, but managing resources and working with Kolb.
"Seeing how the Bidwills have run that franchise, I would think they‘d say, ‘No. You wanted Kolb; you get Kolb and make the best out of it," Clayton said.
But Manning has played in a dome his entire professional career, and Arizona is the only one of the teams interested in him that offers a closed roof.
According to Clayton, Manning may be willing to take a smaller salary with the Cardinals than with any other team because of the option of a controlled climate.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.