Updated Feb 10, 2012 - 5:05 pm
Seahawks could make bigger push for Manning
However, many other teams could be likely candidates, and a former Manning backup believes the Seattle Seahawks could be a great spot for him.
Brock Huard, a former NFL quarterback and current sports talk host on ESPN 710 AM in Seattle, shared his opinion with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the Seahawks are in just as close a race to get Manning as the Cardinals are.
"Fortunately in Seattle, they are not entangled in any way, shape and form from a quarterback situation," Huard said. "Charlie Whitehurst is done; his two year deal is up. Tarvaris [Jackson] makes good back up money, about $4 million, but that's not guaranteed for next year."
The Cardinals still have four more years on the $63 million contract they gave Kevin Kolb last summer, of which $21 million is guaranteed. Arizona also has to decide who the starting quarterback would be after John Skelton showed his potential while taking over for an injured Kolb last season.
But, all of this could come down to money, which Huard said Cards ownership will not give up.
"When [Seahawks owner] Paul Allen wants something, he gets it typically, or at least his people will go at it full guns a blazing," Huard said. "And if he says, ‘I want Pete Carroll, and I'll pay him $7 million a year for seven years, and that's what it takes, fine. If I need to fire my GM in Portland after a year, fine. If I need to get involved in this thing and throw my weight around, I'll do it.'"
Cards owner Bill Bidwill is known to be careful with the team's budget, unlike Allen who is willing to take risks with the Seahawks and his other team, the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers.
Huard also noted that Seattle is a geographically removed city, which would allow Manning to focus on a new season coming back from his neck injury.
And while the Seahawks don't have a wide receiver like Fitzgerald, Huard said Sidney Rice has room to improve. Rice had a great season in 2009 with Minnesota catching passes from Brett Favre, which led to Rice's only Pro-Bowl appearance.
"He was really, really good that year with a quarterback that could actually give him the ball and put him into a position to win," Huard said.
Everyone has an opinion about where Manning should go, but the most important opinion is his.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!