Updated Feb 10, 2012 - 5:05 pm
Seahawks could make bigger push for Manning
However, many other teams could be likely candidates, and a former Manning backup believes the Seattle Seahawks could be a great spot for him.
Brock Huard, a former NFL quarterback and current sports talk host on ESPN 710 AM in Seattle, shared his opinion with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the Seahawks are in just as close a race to get Manning as the Cardinals are.
"Fortunately in Seattle, they are not entangled in any way, shape and form from a quarterback situation," Huard said. "Charlie Whitehurst is done; his two year deal is up. Tarvaris [Jackson] makes good back up money, about $4 million, but that's not guaranteed for next year."
The Cardinals still have four more years on the $63 million contract they gave Kevin Kolb last summer, of which $21 million is guaranteed. Arizona also has to decide who the starting quarterback would be after John Skelton showed his potential while taking over for an injured Kolb last season.
But, all of this could come down to money, which Huard said Cards ownership will not give up.
"When [Seahawks owner] Paul Allen wants something, he gets it typically, or at least his people will go at it full guns a blazing," Huard said. "And if he says, ‘I want Pete Carroll, and I'll pay him $7 million a year for seven years, and that's what it takes, fine. If I need to fire my GM in Portland after a year, fine. If I need to get involved in this thing and throw my weight around, I'll do it.'"
Cards owner Bill Bidwill is known to be careful with the team's budget, unlike Allen who is willing to take risks with the Seahawks and his other team, the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers.
Huard also noted that Seattle is a geographically removed city, which would allow Manning to focus on a new season coming back from his neck injury.
And while the Seahawks don't have a wide receiver like Fitzgerald, Huard said Sidney Rice has room to improve. Rice had a great season in 2009 with Minnesota catching passes from Brett Favre, which led to Rice's only Pro-Bowl appearance.
"He was really, really good that year with a quarterback that could actually give him the ball and put him into a position to win," Huard said.
Everyone has an opinion about where Manning should go, but the most important opinion is his.
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?