Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 10:19 am
ESPN's Hasselbeck says Cardinals are best fit for Manning
Tim Hasselbeck, who was on the Cardinals' roster in 2007, said coach Ken Whisenhunt has shown a willingness to adjust his system to fit a star QB before.
"It's what the Cardinals did with Kurt Warner," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "Ken Whisenhunt had no problem doing things differently for Kurt than he was doing for Ben Roethlisberger when he was the offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh."
Indeed, while many thought Whisenhunt would bring a smash- mouth style of football to the desert, the truth is he has been far more apt to watch his QBs sling the ball all over the field rather than simply handing it off.
That's how a player like Warner was able to resuscitate his career and the Cardinals were able to win a pair of NFC West titles and reach the Super Bowl.
But, besides the fact that Manning has yet to hit the open market, one thing that may prevent the Cardinals from going after the QB is the fact that they gave another signal caller big money just last offseason.
Hasselbeck said that shouldn't be an issue.
"I understand you made moves to go get Kevin Kolb, but you may see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get Peyton Manning," he said.
It would be, but so far the opportunity has yet to present itself. If and when it does, we'll see if the Cardinals are ready and willing to go after one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.