Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 10:19 am
ESPN's Hasselbeck says Cardinals are best fit for Manning
Tim Hasselbeck, who was on the Cardinals' roster in 2007, said coach Ken Whisenhunt has shown a willingness to adjust his system to fit a star QB before.
"It's what the Cardinals did with Kurt Warner," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "Ken Whisenhunt had no problem doing things differently for Kurt than he was doing for Ben Roethlisberger when he was the offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh."
Indeed, while many thought Whisenhunt would bring a smash- mouth style of football to the desert, the truth is he has been far more apt to watch his QBs sling the ball all over the field rather than simply handing it off.
That's how a player like Warner was able to resuscitate his career and the Cardinals were able to win a pair of NFC West titles and reach the Super Bowl.
But, besides the fact that Manning has yet to hit the open market, one thing that may prevent the Cardinals from going after the QB is the fact that they gave another signal caller big money just last offseason.
Hasselbeck said that shouldn't be an issue.
"I understand you made moves to go get Kevin Kolb, but you may see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get Peyton Manning," he said.
It would be, but so far the opportunity has yet to present itself. If and when it does, we'll see if the Cardinals are ready and willing to go after one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.