Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 10:19 am
ESPN's Hasselbeck says Cardinals are best fit for Manning
Tim Hasselbeck, who was on the Cardinals' roster in 2007, said coach Ken Whisenhunt has shown a willingness to adjust his system to fit a star QB before.
"It's what the Cardinals did with Kurt Warner," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "Ken Whisenhunt had no problem doing things differently for Kurt than he was doing for Ben Roethlisberger when he was the offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh."
Indeed, while many thought Whisenhunt would bring a smash- mouth style of football to the desert, the truth is he has been far more apt to watch his QBs sling the ball all over the field rather than simply handing it off.
That's how a player like Warner was able to resuscitate his career and the Cardinals were able to win a pair of NFC West titles and reach the Super Bowl.
But, besides the fact that Manning has yet to hit the open market, one thing that may prevent the Cardinals from going after the QB is the fact that they gave another signal caller big money just last offseason.
Hasselbeck said that shouldn't be an issue.
"I understand you made moves to go get Kevin Kolb, but you may see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get Peyton Manning," he said.
It would be, but so far the opportunity has yet to present itself. If and when it does, we'll see if the Cardinals are ready and willing to go after one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!