Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 10:19 am
ESPN's Hasselbeck says Cardinals are best fit for Manning
Tim Hasselbeck, who was on the Cardinals' roster in 2007, said coach Ken Whisenhunt has shown a willingness to adjust his system to fit a star QB before.
"It's what the Cardinals did with Kurt Warner," he told ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike. "Ken Whisenhunt had no problem doing things differently for Kurt than he was doing for Ben Roethlisberger when he was the offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh."
Indeed, while many thought Whisenhunt would bring a smash- mouth style of football to the desert, the truth is he has been far more apt to watch his QBs sling the ball all over the field rather than simply handing it off.
That's how a player like Warner was able to resuscitate his career and the Cardinals were able to win a pair of NFC West titles and reach the Super Bowl.
But, besides the fact that Manning has yet to hit the open market, one thing that may prevent the Cardinals from going after the QB is the fact that they gave another signal caller big money just last offseason.
Hasselbeck said that shouldn't be an issue.
"I understand you made moves to go get Kevin Kolb, but you may see this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to get Peyton Manning," he said.
It would be, but so far the opportunity has yet to present itself. If and when it does, we'll see if the Cardinals are ready and willing to go after one of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.