Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 5:10 pm
Cards GM Graves: 'Calais will be with us'
In his fourth season out of Miami, the 6'8" defensive end tallied a career-high 8 sacks to go along with 72 tackles. He blocked a few field goals, too, and became the player the Cardinals envisioned he'd be when they selected him in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
A free agent, Campbell is about to get paid, and Cardinals GM Rod Graves said they'll be the ones writing the checks.
"Calais will be with us, rest assured," Graves told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf as part of Newsmakers Week. "With that, we'll try to continue to focus on trying to get a long-term deal in place, but it will be a process that we're undergoing.
"He will be an Arizona Cardinal player this year and we're hoping certainly to extend that into a long-term deal."
So, while a deal is not necessarily imminent, Graves implied the team would use its franchise tag on the lineman if need be.
And, from what Graves said, it appears the player has no interest in leaving the Valley.
"I saw Calais, as a matter of fact, down working out [Thursday] in the weight room, so he's excited, focused about continuing on and just helping our football team become a championship team," Graves added.
This should be music to any Cards fan's ears, because while the team has had a habit of letting talented players leave in free agency, they've also done a good job of retaining the guys they deem to be "core players."
Campbell is obviously one of those, and it appears he'll be around for a long time.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?