Updated Feb 16, 2012 - 5:10 pm
Cards GM Graves: 'Calais will be with us'
In his fourth season out of Miami, the 6'8" defensive end tallied a career-high 8 sacks to go along with 72 tackles. He blocked a few field goals, too, and became the player the Cardinals envisioned he'd be when they selected him in the second round of the 2008 NFL Draft.
A free agent, Campbell is about to get paid, and Cardinals GM Rod Graves said they'll be the ones writing the checks.
"Calais will be with us, rest assured," Graves told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf as part of Newsmakers Week. "With that, we'll try to continue to focus on trying to get a long-term deal in place, but it will be a process that we're undergoing.
"He will be an Arizona Cardinal player this year and we're hoping certainly to extend that into a long-term deal."
So, while a deal is not necessarily imminent, Graves implied the team would use its franchise tag on the lineman if need be.
And, from what Graves said, it appears the player has no interest in leaving the Valley.
"I saw Calais, as a matter of fact, down working out [Thursday] in the weight room, so he's excited, focused about continuing on and just helping our football team become a championship team," Graves added.
This should be music to any Cards fan's ears, because while the team has had a habit of letting talented players leave in free agency, they've also done a good job of retaining the guys they deem to be "core players."
Campbell is obviously one of those, and it appears he'll be around for a long time.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.