Cardinals hoping to bring Levi Brown back
The Cardinals are certain to release Brown, unwilling to pay the large amount of money that is due to him this season, but are hoping to bring him back.
"I think Levi's been in a tough position ever since he was taken with the fifth pick of the draft," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
Whisenhunt talked about the fact that a lineman will have some rough plays, but a team that throws the ball as often as the Cardinals do will leave a tackle like Brown more opportunities to slip up.
"With all that being said, I think over the last half of our season this past year, when we needed it the most, Levi played probably his best football," Whisenhunt added. "He was consistent, it was something that was important to our team and hopefully that was a point where he's starting to get it from that standpoint."
If Brown is starting to "get it," now would be a bad time for the Cardinals to let him go. Given the amount of money they've paid him and time they've spent coaching him, seeing him turn into the player they thought he'd be for another team would be as unsightly as watching him try to protect a QB earlier in the season.
Which is why the goal is to bring Brown back for next season and beyond.
"We would love to have Levi back, and those discussions with his agent are ongoing," Cardinals GM Rod Graves said, noting that the intensity of the discussions should pick up over the next few days. "Obviously our objective is to try to get a deal in place for him, to have him with us for an extended period."
And, though Graves said part of Brown's strength is his ability to play both right and left tackle, the plan is for Levi to keep protecting the QB's blind side.
"Right now he's our left tackle, and until we get a better one he'll remain there," he said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.