Updated Feb 23, 2012 - 3:02 pm
Kolb, Skelton, Manning? Cardinals QB will have to earn the job
Whoever begins the 2012 season in that role -- be it Kolb, Skelton or maybe some guy named Manning -- you better believe they will have earned the job.
"Will there be a competition," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said at the NFL Draft Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "Obviously I think John did a great job for us over the last half of the season when he was forced to play because of Kevin's injury, and that's what you want - - he did the job that we asked him to do."
Whisenhunt said having the entire offseason to work with Skelton, which is something they have not had through the QB's first two seasons in the league, will go a long way towards helping him become a better quarterback. Combine that with minicamps and more reps in training camp, and Whisenhunt said there is reason to be excited about the young QB's future.
"That being said, we didn't get a great opportunity to see a lot of Kevin because of the injuries this year, but in the snapshots of times that we did see him we were excited about what we saw," Whisenhunt said. "So, I think John's earned the ability to be given consideration for the position, just because of what he did and his record and the way he played, but I also think that we've got a lot invested in Kevin as well for that position.
"There's nothing wrong with competition. I think it makes both players -- all players -- better."
So as of now the plan is to roll with either Kolb or Skelton under center, but things are subject to change depending on who may or may not become available in the coming weeks.
And one has to think if the team has a chance to acquire a certain soon-to-be former Colts QB, they'll do their best to make it happen. Not because the team is unhappy with its current signal callers, but rather because they'd always be ready to improve the team.
"Everybody out there associated with our team understands that this is a competitive game and we're all looking to get better, so if those opportunities present themselves then so be it," Cardinals GM Rod Graves said. "But otherwise we've got an outstanding group of quarterbacks with us right now, we believe we can win with those quarterbacks and we're preparing as if they're going to be the group that we're working with.
"We'll see what other opportunities present themselves if that happens."
Indeed we shall.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!