Updated Feb 23, 2012 - 3:02 pm
Kolb, Skelton, Manning? Cardinals QB will have to earn the job
Whoever begins the 2012 season in that role -- be it Kolb, Skelton or maybe some guy named Manning -- you better believe they will have earned the job.
"Will there be a competition," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said at the NFL Draft Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "Obviously I think John did a great job for us over the last half of the season when he was forced to play because of Kevin's injury, and that's what you want - - he did the job that we asked him to do."
Whisenhunt said having the entire offseason to work with Skelton, which is something they have not had through the QB's first two seasons in the league, will go a long way towards helping him become a better quarterback. Combine that with minicamps and more reps in training camp, and Whisenhunt said there is reason to be excited about the young QB's future.
"That being said, we didn't get a great opportunity to see a lot of Kevin because of the injuries this year, but in the snapshots of times that we did see him we were excited about what we saw," Whisenhunt said. "So, I think John's earned the ability to be given consideration for the position, just because of what he did and his record and the way he played, but I also think that we've got a lot invested in Kevin as well for that position.
"There's nothing wrong with competition. I think it makes both players -- all players -- better."
So as of now the plan is to roll with either Kolb or Skelton under center, but things are subject to change depending on who may or may not become available in the coming weeks.
And one has to think if the team has a chance to acquire a certain soon-to-be former Colts QB, they'll do their best to make it happen. Not because the team is unhappy with its current signal callers, but rather because they'd always be ready to improve the team.
"Everybody out there associated with our team understands that this is a competitive game and we're all looking to get better, so if those opportunities present themselves then so be it," Cardinals GM Rod Graves said. "But otherwise we've got an outstanding group of quarterbacks with us right now, we believe we can win with those quarterbacks and we're preparing as if they're going to be the group that we're working with.
"We'll see what other opportunities present themselves if that happens."
Indeed we shall.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.