Updated Feb 23, 2012 - 3:02 pm
Kolb, Skelton, Manning? Cardinals QB will have to earn the job
Whoever begins the 2012 season in that role -- be it Kolb, Skelton or maybe some guy named Manning -- you better believe they will have earned the job.
"Will there be a competition," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said at the NFL Draft Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. "Obviously I think John did a great job for us over the last half of the season when he was forced to play because of Kevin's injury, and that's what you want - - he did the job that we asked him to do."
Whisenhunt said having the entire offseason to work with Skelton, which is something they have not had through the QB's first two seasons in the league, will go a long way towards helping him become a better quarterback. Combine that with minicamps and more reps in training camp, and Whisenhunt said there is reason to be excited about the young QB's future.
"That being said, we didn't get a great opportunity to see a lot of Kevin because of the injuries this year, but in the snapshots of times that we did see him we were excited about what we saw," Whisenhunt said. "So, I think John's earned the ability to be given consideration for the position, just because of what he did and his record and the way he played, but I also think that we've got a lot invested in Kevin as well for that position.
"There's nothing wrong with competition. I think it makes both players -- all players -- better."
So as of now the plan is to roll with either Kolb or Skelton under center, but things are subject to change depending on who may or may not become available in the coming weeks.
And one has to think if the team has a chance to acquire a certain soon-to-be former Colts QB, they'll do their best to make it happen. Not because the team is unhappy with its current signal callers, but rather because they'd always be ready to improve the team.
"Everybody out there associated with our team understands that this is a competitive game and we're all looking to get better, so if those opportunities present themselves then so be it," Cardinals GM Rod Graves said. "But otherwise we've got an outstanding group of quarterbacks with us right now, we believe we can win with those quarterbacks and we're preparing as if they're going to be the group that we're working with.
"We'll see what other opportunities present themselves if that happens."
Indeed we shall.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.