Updated Feb 28, 2012 - 12:48 pm
A new wrinkle on the Peyton Manning to AZ rumors
There's seemingly a new wrinkle or rumor every day about Manning's possible landing spots for 2012 or whether or not he can even throw a football up to NFL standards.
A lot remains unknown, and will until March 8 -- the day Manning is due a huge roster bonus from the Indianapolis Colts. The organization, however, may opt to save the $28 million and cut Manning, making him a free agent.
We do know one thing -- the Arizona Cardinals show up on just about every expert's list of potential suitors for Manning in the event he becomes a free agent.
Peter King, the NFL scribe from Sports Illustrated, is one.
But in a piece published Tuesday morning, King adds another wrinkle, saying that another coveted free agent from Indianapolis will likely join Manning wherever he plays. That free agent is five-time Pro Bowl receiver Reggie Wayne.
Such a pairing would not only be a plus for Manning, who would love to see it happen, according to one NFL source. But also it would allow him to go to his new team with one familiar receiving face, and if you can say one thing about Manning, it's that he loves familiarity, particularly in how his receivers anticipate throws and the precision of their route-running.
King also projects how Wayne would fit in with each suitor's roster, including Arizona. The Cardinals opted not to pick up a veteran option to fill their number two receiver spot opposite Larry Fitzgerald last offseason, and it was a problem in the first half of the 2011 campaign.
Manning to Larry Fitzgerald. Dreamy. Manning to Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne. Dreamier.
Wayne caught 75 passes for 960 yards and 4 touchdowns last year despite Manning missing the whole season while he recovered from numerous neck surgeries.
Andre Roberts and Early Doucet, the two receivers who complimented Fitzgerald, combined for 105 catches and 7 touchdowns in 2011.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?