Updated Mar 2, 2012 - 2:31 pm
Bounty or not, Kurt Warner says big hit didn't cause him to retire
Warner threw an interception in a playoff game against the Saints, and and was drilled by New Orleans' Bobby McCray on the return.
A report has come out that says the Saints offered players money for knocking certain players out of the game, a kind of "bounty" for injuring opponents.
Was Warner one of them?
"I'm sure that's been a part of our league for a long time."
Warner retired a couple weeks later, with many feeling like that game -- and specifically, that hit -- helped lead to the decision.
Warner, though, said that while the hit was "a nice exclamation point" on his decision, it wasn't the reason he walked away from the game.
"I had known well into that season that there was a strong likelihood of me retiring, and going into that game I believed that if we did lose -- or wherever we lost throughout the playoffs -- that it would be my last game playing," he said. "It had nothing to do with one hit, or one incident; it was something that I had thought about and prayed about for a long time leading up to that final game."
Besides, as Warner said, the big hit he took wasn't illegal.
"It was a violent hit, no question, but I also believe it was a legal hit," he said. "That I don't believe Bobby McCray did anything -- he didn't clip me, he didn't hit me in the head. He didn't do anything that I would look at and say 'man, that's out of the confines of the game, he was just trying to hurt me.'"
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?