Bounty or not, Kurt Warner says big hit didn't cause him to retire
Warner threw an interception in a playoff game against the Saints, and and was drilled by New Orleans' Bobby McCray on the return.
A report has come out that says the Saints offered players money for knocking certain players out of the game, a kind of "bounty" for injuring opponents.
Was Warner one of them?
"I'm sure that's been a part of our league for a long time."
Warner retired a couple weeks later, with many feeling like that game -- and specifically, that hit -- helped lead to the decision.
Warner, though, said that while the hit was "a nice exclamation point" on his decision, it wasn't the reason he walked away from the game.
"I had known well into that season that there was a strong likelihood of me retiring, and going into that game I believed that if we did lose -- or wherever we lost throughout the playoffs -- that it would be my last game playing," he said. "It had nothing to do with one hit, or one incident; it was something that I had thought about and prayed about for a long time leading up to that final game."
Besides, as Warner said, the big hit he took wasn't illegal.
"It was a violent hit, no question, but I also believe it was a legal hit," he said. "That I don't believe Bobby McCray did anything -- he didn't clip me, he didn't hit me in the head. He didn't do anything that I would look at and say 'man, that's out of the confines of the game, he was just trying to hurt me.'"
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br