Updated Mar 4, 2012 - 9:42 pm
T.O. open to landing in Cardinals' nest
Yes, Owens is still looking to get back into the National Football League after not playing in 2011. Owens suffered a torn ACL following the 2010 season and underwent surgery last April. The NFL's 6th-leading all-time receiver declared himself fit to play, yet had no takers -- in the big time, that is.
Friday, after attending the Suns' win over the Clippers, T.O. spoke about his new career with the Allen (TX) Wranglers in the IFL. "It's a shorter field. Everything's quicker, faster, so it's only going to make me better.
"It's interesting, it's a little different, but at the end of the day, like I been telling people, it's still football."
Since he's still playing football, his stint in the IFL might prepare Owens to return to the league as a number two receiver. But would he ever think of himself as a number two and come to the Cardinals?
"Of course, I mean the last couple teams I've been on I've went in as number two," Owens said. "I would definitely love to play with Larry (Fitzgerald), if that's a possibility."
Stepping out of the limelight for Fitzgerald would be a big change for Owens, who has been the big name receiver on his previous teams. "Larry and I are good friends, so I'm sure I could coexist and try and make some things happen."
In the end, whether Owens lands with the Cardinals, another franchise or stays in the IFL, there's one thing he misses most about the NFL.
"Fifty more yards," he said.
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?