Updated Mar 4, 2012 - 9:42 pm
T.O. open to landing in Cardinals' nest
Yes, Owens is still looking to get back into the National Football League after not playing in 2011. Owens suffered a torn ACL following the 2010 season and underwent surgery last April. The NFL's 6th-leading all-time receiver declared himself fit to play, yet had no takers -- in the big time, that is.
Friday, after attending the Suns' win over the Clippers, T.O. spoke about his new career with the Allen (TX) Wranglers in the IFL. "It's a shorter field. Everything's quicker, faster, so it's only going to make me better.
"It's interesting, it's a little different, but at the end of the day, like I been telling people, it's still football."
Since he's still playing football, his stint in the IFL might prepare Owens to return to the league as a number two receiver. But would he ever think of himself as a number two and come to the Cardinals?
"Of course, I mean the last couple teams I've been on I've went in as number two," Owens said. "I would definitely love to play with Larry (Fitzgerald), if that's a possibility."
Stepping out of the limelight for Fitzgerald would be a big change for Owens, who has been the big name receiver on his previous teams. "Larry and I are good friends, so I'm sure I could coexist and try and make some things happen."
In the end, whether Owens lands with the Cardinals, another franchise or stays in the IFL, there's one thing he misses most about the NFL.
"Fifty more yards," he said.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.