Updated Mar 4, 2012 - 9:42 pm
T.O. open to landing in Cardinals' nest
Yes, Owens is still looking to get back into the National Football League after not playing in 2011. Owens suffered a torn ACL following the 2010 season and underwent surgery last April. The NFL's 6th-leading all-time receiver declared himself fit to play, yet had no takers -- in the big time, that is.
Friday, after attending the Suns' win over the Clippers, T.O. spoke about his new career with the Allen (TX) Wranglers in the IFL. "It's a shorter field. Everything's quicker, faster, so it's only going to make me better.
"It's interesting, it's a little different, but at the end of the day, like I been telling people, it's still football."
Since he's still playing football, his stint in the IFL might prepare Owens to return to the league as a number two receiver. But would he ever think of himself as a number two and come to the Cardinals?
"Of course, I mean the last couple teams I've been on I've went in as number two," Owens said. "I would definitely love to play with Larry (Fitzgerald), if that's a possibility."
Stepping out of the limelight for Fitzgerald would be a big change for Owens, who has been the big name receiver on his previous teams. "Larry and I are good friends, so I'm sure I could coexist and try and make some things happen."
In the end, whether Owens lands with the Cardinals, another franchise or stays in the IFL, there's one thing he misses most about the NFL.
"Fifty more yards," he said.
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.