Updated Mar 6, 2012 - 7:28 pm
Manning to AZ? Dockett says 'yes'
But Tuesday, they got kicked into high gear when news broke that the Indianapolis Colts would indeed cut the four-time MVP instead of paying his astronomical $28 million roster bonus. Manning missed the 2011 season after undergoing four neck surgeries.
Since then, the twitterverse has exploded with Manning rumors, and Arizona is a popular choice among those speculating on #18's future employer.
But what about the players already on the Cardinals' roster? What do they think?
Leave it to the most outspoken member of #Birdgang to put his thoughts out there. Of course, I'm speaking about defensive lineman Darnell Dockett.
Peyton to AZ!!!!!!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) March 7, 2012
After receiving some feedback from Cardinal fans, Dockett clarified his thoughts.
Look yall, I like all our QB's, I don't care who the QB is we are gonna win the west either way! but damn who wouldn't wanna play w/ peyton!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) March 7, 2012
Dockett didn't stop there, also granting an interview to NFL Network, where he did his best sales pitch on why Manning should come to the desert.
"He'd get to play in a dome, the weather's nice for him, the coaching staff is great, our management is doing a wonderful job," Dockett said during the interview. "He has arguably the best wide receiver in the game in Larry Fitzgerald, two good running backs that are young and an improving defense.
"And the weather's nice, Peyton could get a tan and everything...I'll even give him my parking spot."
Keep in mind that once Indianapolis officially cuts Manning, he's free to sign with any team he wishes -- even ahead of the beginning of the NFL free agency period on March 13, so he could have a new home soon.
Dockett summed up the feelings of hundreds of NFL players by asking "who wouldn't want to play with Manning?"
That's a pretty valid question, after all.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.