Updated Mar 10, 2012 - 1:19 pm
Fitzgerald: 'I don't know anything' on Manning front
But there was no Peyton Manning.
Manning, the free agent quarterback cut earlier this week by the Indianapolis Colts, visited the Denver Broncos for approximately six hours on Friday and reportedly spent the night in the Mile High City. There are rumblings that Manning will next visit the Arizona Cardinals, but nobody knows or is willing to talk about when that pow-wow will occur.
And nobody includes Cardinals' Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald was one of several NFL players at the Cardinals' facility for 9th Annual Kurt Warner Ultimate Football Experience flag football tournament, and either #11 is tight-lipped or doesn't have any knowledge of the Cards' planned itinerary for Manning.
"I haven't heard anything about it," Fitzgerald said. "I'll be interested to see (what happens). I'm kind of picking up everything on the ticker on ESPN and the different sports affiliations in the country just like you guys are."
Could it be that the Cardinals' brass would keep their chief recruiting tool in the dark about a possible franchise-shifting free agent signing?
"If there is, I haven't gotten an invite yet," Fitzgerald said when asked about a possible dinner meeting with Manning and team officials. "As of this point right now, 12:08 on Saturday, I don't know anything."
Fitzgerald and Manning have combined to play in three Super Bowls and 17 Pro Bowls, so one would think the duo would have more than a casual acquaintance. Maybe not.
"I just know him in passing. It's not like I have his phone number or anything like that," he said. "If I saw him and he walked by, I'd know who he is, and he'd probably know who I was."
Speculation around the facility is that Manning would probably be in for a visit Saturday after the crowd filed out from Warner's event, or Sunday.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.