Updated Mar 10, 2012 - 1:19 pm
Fitzgerald: 'I don't know anything' on Manning front
But there was no Peyton Manning.
Manning, the free agent quarterback cut earlier this week by the Indianapolis Colts, visited the Denver Broncos for approximately six hours on Friday and reportedly spent the night in the Mile High City. There are rumblings that Manning will next visit the Arizona Cardinals, but nobody knows or is willing to talk about when that pow-wow will occur.
And nobody includes Cardinals' Pro Bowl wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald was one of several NFL players at the Cardinals' facility for 9th Annual Kurt Warner Ultimate Football Experience flag football tournament, and either #11 is tight-lipped or doesn't have any knowledge of the Cards' planned itinerary for Manning.
"I haven't heard anything about it," Fitzgerald said. "I'll be interested to see (what happens). I'm kind of picking up everything on the ticker on ESPN and the different sports affiliations in the country just like you guys are."
Could it be that the Cardinals' brass would keep their chief recruiting tool in the dark about a possible franchise-shifting free agent signing?
"If there is, I haven't gotten an invite yet," Fitzgerald said when asked about a possible dinner meeting with Manning and team officials. "As of this point right now, 12:08 on Saturday, I don't know anything."
Fitzgerald and Manning have combined to play in three Super Bowls and 17 Pro Bowls, so one would think the duo would have more than a casual acquaintance. Maybe not.
"I just know him in passing. It's not like I have his phone number or anything like that," he said. "If I saw him and he walked by, I'd know who he is, and he'd probably know who I was."
Speculation around the facility is that Manning would probably be in for a visit Saturday after the crowd filed out from Warner's event, or Sunday.
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?