Updated Mar 14, 2012 - 10:30 am
QB Roulette: If Manning to Titans, Hasselbeck to Cardinals?
Having brought the former Colt in for a visit, it's obvious the team is looking to upgrade the QB position, not being totally content with Kevin Kolb and John Skelton.
However, Manning is receiving plenty of interest from other teams, including the Denver Broncos and Tennesee Titans. And, while the QB heading to Denver wouldn't really affect the Cardinals, him signing in Tennessee could.
As ESPN's Mike Sando notes, Manning in Nashville would lead to Matt Hasselbeck getting the boot, and, since the Cardinals expressed interest in the former Seahawk last year, one could begin connecting some dots.
The Cardinals could make room for Hasselbeck by declining to pay a $7 million bonus due to Kevin Kolb by Friday. We're dealing in the hypothetical at this point, but so are the teams. As much as the Cardinals want Manning, they must prepare alternate strategies. They could have a choice between Kolb and Hasselbeck if Manning landed in Tennessee. Hasselbeck would upgrade the position on the field, in my view, while giving the Cardinals a veteran mentor for Skelton.
Sando goes on to mention that while Hasselbeck and Kolb had similar QB ratings last season (82.4 to 81.1), the veteran signal caller had a significantly better Total QBR, which takes into account not only a QB's stats, but how each play impacts a game and his team's chances of winning.
For the season Hasselbeck completed 61.6 percent of his passes, throwing 18 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. His top receiver, Kenny Britt, played in just three games, and yet he was still able to guide the Titans to a 9-7 record. So, it's not as if the guy can't play anymore, and in Arizona he'd have that Larry Fitzgerald guy to throw too.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?