Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 6:04 pm
Cardinals to give Kolb $7 million bonus
ESPN's Suzy Kolber reports Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will receive his $7 million roster bonus, according to team source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 16, 2012
According to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, the Cardinals converted the roster bonus to an "option bonus", allowing them to prorate the bonus over four years and lowering Kolb's cap number from 10.5 million to 4.75 million -- a savings of over 5 million for next season.
The decision on the roster bonus had been clouded by a couple of factors. Firstly, their interest in signing free agent quarterback Peyton Manning and secondly by Kolb's injury- plagued 2011 campaign. Kolb missed 7 games last season with turf toe and a concussion.
Arizona acquired Kolb in a trade with Philadelphia at the conclusion of the NFL lockout last summer, sending former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles.
Kolb threw for 1,955 yards and 9 touchdowns while compiling a QB rating of 81.1 in his first season as a Cardinal.
This, of course, effectively ends the Cardinals' pursuit of Manning, who is reportedly considering Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco during his recruitment process.
More details to follow on Arizona Sports 620 and ArizonaSports.com.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?