Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 6:04 pm
Cardinals to give Kolb $7 million bonus
ESPN's Suzy Kolber reports Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will receive his $7 million roster bonus, according to team source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 16, 2012
According to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, the Cardinals converted the roster bonus to an "option bonus", allowing them to prorate the bonus over four years and lowering Kolb's cap number from 10.5 million to 4.75 million -- a savings of over 5 million for next season.
The decision on the roster bonus had been clouded by a couple of factors. Firstly, their interest in signing free agent quarterback Peyton Manning and secondly by Kolb's injury- plagued 2011 campaign. Kolb missed 7 games last season with turf toe and a concussion.
Arizona acquired Kolb in a trade with Philadelphia at the conclusion of the NFL lockout last summer, sending former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles.
Kolb threw for 1,955 yards and 9 touchdowns while compiling a QB rating of 81.1 in his first season as a Cardinal.
This, of course, effectively ends the Cardinals' pursuit of Manning, who is reportedly considering Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco during his recruitment process.
More details to follow on Arizona Sports 620 and ArizonaSports.com.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.