Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 6:04 pm
Cardinals to give Kolb $7 million bonus
ESPN's Suzy Kolber reports Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will receive his $7 million roster bonus, according to team source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 16, 2012
According to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, the Cardinals converted the roster bonus to an "option bonus", allowing them to prorate the bonus over four years and lowering Kolb's cap number from 10.5 million to 4.75 million -- a savings of over 5 million for next season.
The decision on the roster bonus had been clouded by a couple of factors. Firstly, their interest in signing free agent quarterback Peyton Manning and secondly by Kolb's injury- plagued 2011 campaign. Kolb missed 7 games last season with turf toe and a concussion.
Arizona acquired Kolb in a trade with Philadelphia at the conclusion of the NFL lockout last summer, sending former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles.
Kolb threw for 1,955 yards and 9 touchdowns while compiling a QB rating of 81.1 in his first season as a Cardinal.
This, of course, effectively ends the Cardinals' pursuit of Manning, who is reportedly considering Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco during his recruitment process.
More details to follow on Arizona Sports 620 and ArizonaSports.com.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!