Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 6:04 pm
Cardinals to give Kolb $7 million bonus
ESPN's Suzy Kolber reports Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will receive his $7 million roster bonus, according to team source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 16, 2012
According to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, the Cardinals converted the roster bonus to an "option bonus", allowing them to prorate the bonus over four years and lowering Kolb's cap number from 10.5 million to 4.75 million -- a savings of over 5 million for next season.
The decision on the roster bonus had been clouded by a couple of factors. Firstly, their interest in signing free agent quarterback Peyton Manning and secondly by Kolb's injury- plagued 2011 campaign. Kolb missed 7 games last season with turf toe and a concussion.
Arizona acquired Kolb in a trade with Philadelphia at the conclusion of the NFL lockout last summer, sending former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles.
Kolb threw for 1,955 yards and 9 touchdowns while compiling a QB rating of 81.1 in his first season as a Cardinal.
This, of course, effectively ends the Cardinals' pursuit of Manning, who is reportedly considering Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco during his recruitment process.
More details to follow on Arizona Sports 620 and ArizonaSports.com.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.