Updated Mar 16, 2012 - 6:04 pm
Cardinals to give Kolb $7 million bonus
ESPN's Suzy Kolber reports Cardinals quarterback Kevin Kolb will receive his $7 million roster bonus, according to team source.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 16, 2012
According to Kent Somers of The Arizona Republic and Darren Urban of AZCardinals.com, the Cardinals converted the roster bonus to an "option bonus", allowing them to prorate the bonus over four years and lowering Kolb's cap number from 10.5 million to 4.75 million -- a savings of over 5 million for next season.
The decision on the roster bonus had been clouded by a couple of factors. Firstly, their interest in signing free agent quarterback Peyton Manning and secondly by Kolb's injury- plagued 2011 campaign. Kolb missed 7 games last season with turf toe and a concussion.
Arizona acquired Kolb in a trade with Philadelphia at the conclusion of the NFL lockout last summer, sending former Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a second round pick to the Eagles.
Kolb threw for 1,955 yards and 9 touchdowns while compiling a QB rating of 81.1 in his first season as a Cardinal.
This, of course, effectively ends the Cardinals' pursuit of Manning, who is reportedly considering Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco during his recruitment process.
More details to follow on Arizona Sports 620 and ArizonaSports.com.
- Arizona Cardinals: Wins meaningless without playoffs
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Dave Pasch, Cardinals radio announcer - Friday December 13Pasch gives his thoughts on this weekend's Cardinals game against the Titans.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.