Clayton: Kolb's next move is to gain back trust
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt stated that they'll go into next season deciding between Kevin Kolb and John Skelton for the starting spot, just like last year.
But more pressure is on Kolb, who was chosen as a starter last season and whose future with the team was up in the air when the Cards waited to give him a $7 million roster bonus.
Instead of just focusing on getting back into playing form, Kolb has additional work to do.
ESPN's John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday that Kolb's next move should be earning back the trust of the franchise and his teammates.
"Now Kevin's got to, I think, win back the organization and win back the locker room," Clayton said. "He's never had an offseason to work with the Cardinals. Now he'll have that, but I think what it does show is that there are some questions in the organization's mind whether this was a good move or not."
In Kolb's first season with the Cardinals coming from the Eagles, he posted a 2-6 record, and could only watch as his backup Skelton led the team to six wins. Kolb completed 59.4% of his passes while throwing for 1,955 yards last season in limited action.
Though it may seem that the Cardinals are moving on from the Manning saga, Clayton said that everything is probably not okay between Kolb and the organization.
"You can see that there are some questions that I guess the organization has or they wouldn't take the rare opportunity to go for Peyton Manning, and they were all in on Peyton. So now, not getting him, it's like ‘okay let's patch things up; you get your $7 million,'" Clayton said. "They're going to naturally, by giving him the $7 million, say ‘everything's great,' but still you have to see some doubt with the way they handle things."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.