Updated Mar 19, 2012 - 2:18 pm
Kurt Warner says Peyton Manning needed to explore all options
So, even though he may have wanted to be a Denver Bronco all along, Manning still visited with Arizona and San Francisco, among others.
"I think you have to explore everything," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I think what he's looking for is where's that one team that gives me an advantage, where I feel there's a distinct advantage for me going in early on, or making a run back to the Super Bowl.
"I don't think there's any question that he did his due diligence with all of the teams."
Warner would know, as he himself was a free agent at different times in his career, including when he visited the 49ers after leading the Cardinals to Super Bowl XLIII. The QB ultimately returned to Arizona for one more season, but owed it to himself and his family to see what else was out there.
"I love the Cardinals, for my teammates and the coaches there, would have loved to have seen him come here, but when I looked at the picture with the Cardinals, and then Tennessee and Denver, I don't think any one of those teams blew you out of the water like a San Francisco," Warner said, noting that the Niners were just a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender. "When San Francisco jumped into the mix I became intrigued."
Warner may have been intrigued, but the rest of the NFC West was likely pretty nervous. After all, Manning leading an offense with that defense on the other side of the ball?
Goodbye, NFC West championship dreams.
Fortunately for the Cardinals, like Warner, Manning decided not to head to the Bay Area, leaving the 49ers trying to salvage an offseason by not losing former starter Alex Smith.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.