Updated Mar 19, 2012 - 2:18 pm
Kurt Warner says Peyton Manning needed to explore all options
So, even though he may have wanted to be a Denver Bronco all along, Manning still visited with Arizona and San Francisco, among others.
"I think you have to explore everything," Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "I think what he's looking for is where's that one team that gives me an advantage, where I feel there's a distinct advantage for me going in early on, or making a run back to the Super Bowl.
"I don't think there's any question that he did his due diligence with all of the teams."
Warner would know, as he himself was a free agent at different times in his career, including when he visited the 49ers after leading the Cardinals to Super Bowl XLIII. The QB ultimately returned to Arizona for one more season, but owed it to himself and his family to see what else was out there.
"I love the Cardinals, for my teammates and the coaches there, would have loved to have seen him come here, but when I looked at the picture with the Cardinals, and then Tennessee and Denver, I don't think any one of those teams blew you out of the water like a San Francisco," Warner said, noting that the Niners were just a QB away from being a Super Bowl contender. "When San Francisco jumped into the mix I became intrigued."
Warner may have been intrigued, but the rest of the NFC West was likely pretty nervous. After all, Manning leading an offense with that defense on the other side of the ball?
Goodbye, NFC West championship dreams.
Fortunately for the Cardinals, like Warner, Manning decided not to head to the Bay Area, leaving the 49ers trying to salvage an offseason by not losing former starter Alex Smith.
- NFL writer: Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald 'bound to improve' in 2014
- GM Steve Keim updates Arizona Cardinals' draft progress
- NFL Draft '14: Is it time for the Arizona Cardinals to draft a QB?
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald to be honored for off-the-field work
- 2014 Arizona Cardinals draft stock tracker
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.