ESPN Insider: Cardinals struggling in free agency
A month into the process, not much has changed.
While the Cardinals did a good job of retaining their own guys, save Richard Marshall who left for Miami, there are some who doubt adding William Gay and Adam Snyder to a group that includes Early Doucet and Levi Brown has made the Cardinals any better than they were at the end of last season.
Matt Williamson, in an ESPN Insider story, is one such person, as he gave the Cardinals a "D" when grading how every team has fared in free agency.
The Cardinals lost very little in free agency -- unless you count Peyton Manning among those losses. They also didn't add a lot and were strapped with financial issues, which really curtailed their ability to spend in free agency. Campbell needed to be franchised and is now a cornerstone player in this organization. Gay and Doucet will have starter/depth value, but the Cardinals' offensive line still looks like one of the worst in all of football. It would be surprising if Arizona wasn't proactive in drafting offensive linemen this draft.
True, it would seem the Cardinals are practically forcing themselves to take an offensive lineman early in this month's draft, possibly making them reach for a position of need rather than taking the best available player.
However, this is a team that finished last season winning seven of its final nine games, leading many to feel there is plenty of talent already on the roster.
And, if that's the case, perhaps wholesale changes were not necessary to begin with.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br