Updated Apr 16, 2012 - 4:16 pm
Dockett: Now is time to improve selves, chemistry
"The biggest thing for us right now is to try to build some chemistry in this offseason," Dockett said after working out at the team's facility Monday. "Football is going to come regardless, but if we don't have chemistry it really won't mean nothing.
"Each day is very important to us, whether we sit in the locker room for an hour and talk before, after, or go get something to eat; I think that's the biggest thing to us is the communication and just developing a friendship with a lot of new guys and a lot of old guys."
One of the team's leaders, Dockett is about to enter his ninth NFL season -- all with the Cardinals -- and he does so with confidence that the team's defense can build off the success it had in 2011.
"I think we kind of got the concepts of what our coach was trying to do for us last year," he said. "Are we at where we need to be? No, not by far. But we are still learning it, and with a year under our belt seeing the good things that can happen is huge for us."
So, he said, now is about just getting in shape and learning as they go.
"We're going to be a defense that's very exciting this year," he said, adding that the big thing will be just staying healthy and being stronger than their opponents.
That process, in a way, started Monday.
"The divisions that we play this year are much tougher so we've got to really take a counter to that and really give it extra effort."
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.