Updated Apr 17, 2012 - 2:53 pm
Skelton feels like he has chance to start for Cardinals
Skelton completed 54.9 percent of his passes, tossing 11 touchdowns to go along with 14 interceptions.
He also led the Cardinals to six of their eight victories, and played well enough that head coach Ken Whisenhunt said following the season that there would be a competition between Skelton and Kevin Kolb for the starting gig in 2012.
The plan took a small detour in March when the team pursued QB Peyton Manning, but alas the former Colt signed with the Broncos.
Skelton understood the team's interest in Manning.
"He's a great player, he's a surefire Hall of Fame guy, why would you not want him in your locker room," Skelton said. "It works out either way, whether they brought him in or they didn't.
"Kevin and I are just going to go on like it never happened."
That means continuing on with the idea that he has a chance to be the team's starter entering 2012.
"[The coaches] said it will be an open competition and I'm sure we're both going to go in there with that mind-set," Skelton said of his chances to be the starting QB. "Whether one of us is proclaimed the starter or not, we're both going to work our tails off."
The 24-year-old out of Fordham, though, is far from a finished product. While he showed a knack for rallying the team late in games, often times it was Skelton's miscues that put the team in a hole to begin with.
So, the next few months will be of the utmost important to the former fifth-round pick, as he looks to make significant improvements to his game during his first full offseason.
"I still have to get the playbook down completely, I have to be able to make those surefire reads and throws and everything, and just continue to get better," he said.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!