Skelton feels like he has chance to start for Cardinals
Skelton completed 54.9 percent of his passes, tossing 11 touchdowns to go along with 14 interceptions.
He also led the Cardinals to six of their eight victories, and played well enough that head coach Ken Whisenhunt said following the season that there would be a competition between Skelton and Kevin Kolb for the starting gig in 2012.
The plan took a small detour in March when the team pursued QB Peyton Manning, but alas the former Colt signed with the Broncos.
Skelton understood the team's interest in Manning.
"He's a great player, he's a surefire Hall of Fame guy, why would you not want him in your locker room," Skelton said. "It works out either way, whether they brought him in or they didn't.
"Kevin and I are just going to go on like it never happened."
That means continuing on with the idea that he has a chance to be the team's starter entering 2012.
"[The coaches] said it will be an open competition and I'm sure we're both going to go in there with that mind-set," Skelton said of his chances to be the starting QB. "Whether one of us is proclaimed the starter or not, we're both going to work our tails off."
The 24-year-old out of Fordham, though, is far from a finished product. While he showed a knack for rallying the team late in games, often times it was Skelton's miscues that put the team in a hole to begin with.
So, the next few months will be of the utmost important to the former fifth-round pick, as he looks to make significant improvements to his game during his first full offseason.
"I still have to get the playbook down completely, I have to be able to make those surefire reads and throws and everything, and just continue to get better," he said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.