Updated Apr 19, 2012 - 10:24 am
Cardinals QB Kolb ready to move on and lead Cardinals
But, as he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday, all is not lost.
"I'm just glad I'm the starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals," he said.
Kolb has recovered from the concussion that sidelined him late in 2011, ending a season that saw him play in just nine games - finishing eight - and throwing just nine touchdown passes against eight interceptions.
While his numbers would not exactly inspire confidence in him going forward, the fact that he is participating in his first full offseason with the Cardinals will only help. Remember, the team traded for him just a couple weeks before the team's first preseason game last summer.
"I'm a guy that buys in completely to whatever program I'm in because that's the way that I was taught," Kolb said. "Right or wrong, believe in what your coaches are saying; believe in what you're being taught."
Kolb said he went "head-over-heels" with the West-Coast offense he was asked to run in Philadelphia, and he did it pretty well. Problem is, Arizona doesn't run a West-Coast offense, and the QB had little time to learn and adapt to his new system before being asked to play in games that counted.
So, Kolb struggled.
Kolb pointed to an early-December game against Dallas as one that showed his improvement in the offense. He completed 16 of 25 passes for 247 yards and one touchdown in the 19-13 OT win. He suffered the concussion on the first series of the following week's game, putting an end to his season and eliminating any chance he had of showing how well he could play once in command of the offense.
"That was frustrating there at the end of the season," he said.
But all that's behind Kolb, as he is now looking to win the QB job over John Skelton in training camp and be the guy the Cardinals thought they were trading for last August.
He's confident in himself and the team.
"I look forward to moving forward with this team and doing great things this year, and I mean it," he said. "I really put a lot of merit into this year and I'm working hard with the rest of the guys.
"We've got a good core group; we kind of gelled a little bit last year, and we're excited about the season. I think everybody's got a chip on their shoulder."
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves