Updated Apr 22, 2012 - 10:46 am
Cardinals GM Rod Graves won't 'fall in love' with any draft prospect
"I stay away from falling in love with one player," Graves told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I think the process, as you very well know, if I have fallen in love with him you can rest assured that there are many others out there that have fallen in love with him too.
"There's too many opportunities for my heart to be broken that way."
So, Graves said he and the Cardinals will simply stick to the strategy of creating a draft board and selecting the best available player, regardless of need.
"We will focus on our needs throughout the process but we don't deviate from that approach," he said. "I think with that you have a better chance of coming away feeling satisfied and, more importantly, being successful with the pick."
"We want to be in a position where we can improve our football team, and if we can do that and still move back to pick up extra picks or a pick we'll consider that," he said. "But I think the focus is we're at 13, there's going to be a good football player there, and we certainly will look forward to selecting one."
- Rookie QB Logan Thomas largely ineffective in Cardinals preseason finale
- Cardinals WRs Brown, Golden and Powell fail to make case in final preseason game
- NFL.com predicts a couple of Arizona Cardinals will win awards
- Report: Arizona Cardinals negotiating contract with James Harrison
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.