Updated Apr 22, 2012 - 10:46 am
Cardinals GM Rod Graves won't 'fall in love' with any draft prospect
"I stay away from falling in love with one player," Graves told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I think the process, as you very well know, if I have fallen in love with him you can rest assured that there are many others out there that have fallen in love with him too.
"There's too many opportunities for my heart to be broken that way."
So, Graves said he and the Cardinals will simply stick to the strategy of creating a draft board and selecting the best available player, regardless of need.
"We will focus on our needs throughout the process but we don't deviate from that approach," he said. "I think with that you have a better chance of coming away feeling satisfied and, more importantly, being successful with the pick."
"We want to be in a position where we can improve our football team, and if we can do that and still move back to pick up extra picks or a pick we'll consider that," he said. "But I think the focus is we're at 13, there's going to be a good football player there, and we certainly will look forward to selecting one."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b