Arizona Sports Face-Off: Arizona Cardinals draft style
As Arizona Cardinals fans, we love the draft.
Traditionally the team's best chance to improve, the Cardinals have had their fair share of ups and downs over the years, with surprises that were both good and bad.
Who was their best pick? How about their best late-round selection? What about the worst?
We tackle all those issues in this week's Arizona Sports Face-Off.
|Vince Marotta||Adam Green|
|The best pick in
Arizona Cardinals draft history? Talk about a no-
brainer...it's of course Larry Fitzgerald, who was picked
3rd overall out of Pitt in 2004. All Fitz has done is
become the franchise's all-time leading receiver while
racking up six 1,000-yard seasons in eight years. I know
Adam will argue that "you're supposed to get a great
player with the third pick." How did third picks Tyson
Jackson, Braylon Edwards and Joey Harrington pan out?
Best late-round pick? Adam makes a great point with Larry Centers. Hard to argue his contributions, but I went with Pat Tillman, a 7th-round PR pick out of ASU, who went on to start for four seasons before joining the U.S. Army. No disrespect to Larry Centers, but I don't see his statue in front of UOP Stadium.
For the bust, I gotta go with Andre Wadsworth (he was a number three pick too, Adam). A can't-miss who missed badly, mostly due to knee injuries, but swinging and whiffing on that high of a pick was a blow to the Cardinals in the late 90s.
|Talk about a show jam-packed with
Sadly, when it comes to trying to pick the "best" AZ Cardinals draft pick of all-time, the pickings are rather slim. However, when doing some research, the answer became clear: Aeneas Williams.
To get a 6-time Pro Bowler (8 in total) who picked off 46 passes for the team and was generally considered one of the best corners in the game in the third round of the 1991 draft was brilliant. Vince chose Larry Fitzgerald, and he's great. But he was taken with the 3rd pick -- he better be good.
As for the best late-round value, how can you not go with Larry Centers? Led the team in receiving multiple times and was a bright spot on some really bad teams.
Then again, it's not all rosy, and the biggest bust has to be none other than Matt Leinart. He wasn't the worst player they've ever taken, but missing on the QB has set this franchise back at least a couple of years now to the point where they are STILL looking for a quarterback.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.