Updated Apr 23, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Whisenhunt: Need, talent factor into draft
Sure, the Cardinals like to take the "best player available," but need does generally factor into the decision.
But, if there is one position the Cardinals didn't really need help at -- especially early in the draft -- it was running back.
"You always try to take the best player available, because that's how you build your team, but you always keep an eye towards your needs and you try to fit both of those things together," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Last year was a departure from that from the standpoint of Ryan Williams, we didn't really have a perceived need at running back."
Of course, an injury put an end to Williams' rookie season before it really even began, but the fact remains that the Cardinals took him simply because he represented the best value of anyone when their second-round pick, 38th overall, was up.
Maybe that was a rare occurrence, as the team would rather not ignore its needs when drafting. However, Whisenhunt has made no secret of his willingness to improve the team in any way possible, so adding a player who can help -- from any position -- will always be an option.
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?