Updated Apr 23, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Whisenhunt: Need, talent factor into draft
Sure, the Cardinals like to take the "best player available," but need does generally factor into the decision.
But, if there is one position the Cardinals didn't really need help at -- especially early in the draft -- it was running back.
"You always try to take the best player available, because that's how you build your team, but you always keep an eye towards your needs and you try to fit both of those things together," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Last year was a departure from that from the standpoint of Ryan Williams, we didn't really have a perceived need at running back."
Of course, an injury put an end to Williams' rookie season before it really even began, but the fact remains that the Cardinals took him simply because he represented the best value of anyone when their second-round pick, 38th overall, was up.
Maybe that was a rare occurrence, as the team would rather not ignore its needs when drafting. However, Whisenhunt has made no secret of his willingness to improve the team in any way possible, so adding a player who can help -- from any position -- will always be an option.
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.