Updated Apr 23, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Whisenhunt: Need, talent factor into draft
Sure, the Cardinals like to take the "best player available," but need does generally factor into the decision.
But, if there is one position the Cardinals didn't really need help at -- especially early in the draft -- it was running back.
"You always try to take the best player available, because that's how you build your team, but you always keep an eye towards your needs and you try to fit both of those things together," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Last year was a departure from that from the standpoint of Ryan Williams, we didn't really have a perceived need at running back."
Of course, an injury put an end to Williams' rookie season before it really even began, but the fact remains that the Cardinals took him simply because he represented the best value of anyone when their second-round pick, 38th overall, was up.
Maybe that was a rare occurrence, as the team would rather not ignore its needs when drafting. However, Whisenhunt has made no secret of his willingness to improve the team in any way possible, so adding a player who can help -- from any position -- will always be an option.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.