Updated Apr 23, 2012 - 6:05 pm
Whisenhunt: Need, talent factor into draft
Sure, the Cardinals like to take the "best player available," but need does generally factor into the decision.
But, if there is one position the Cardinals didn't really need help at -- especially early in the draft -- it was running back.
"You always try to take the best player available, because that's how you build your team, but you always keep an eye towards your needs and you try to fit both of those things together," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Last year was a departure from that from the standpoint of Ryan Williams, we didn't really have a perceived need at running back."
Of course, an injury put an end to Williams' rookie season before it really even began, but the fact remains that the Cardinals took him simply because he represented the best value of anyone when their second-round pick, 38th overall, was up.
Maybe that was a rare occurrence, as the team would rather not ignore its needs when drafting. However, Whisenhunt has made no secret of his willingness to improve the team in any way possible, so adding a player who can help -- from any position -- will always be an option.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.