Whisenhunt: Need, talent factor into draft
Sure, the Cardinals like to take the "best player available," but need does generally factor into the decision.
But, if there is one position the Cardinals didn't really need help at -- especially early in the draft -- it was running back.
"You always try to take the best player available, because that's how you build your team, but you always keep an eye towards your needs and you try to fit both of those things together," Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "Last year was a departure from that from the standpoint of Ryan Williams, we didn't really have a perceived need at running back."
Of course, an injury put an end to Williams' rookie season before it really even began, but the fact remains that the Cardinals took him simply because he represented the best value of anyone when their second-round pick, 38th overall, was up.
Maybe that was a rare occurrence, as the team would rather not ignore its needs when drafting. However, Whisenhunt has made no secret of his willingness to improve the team in any way possible, so adding a player who can help -- from any position -- will always be an option.
- Bruce Arians and Charles Barkley in agreement on gay athlete issue
- Tyrann Mathieu making 'believers'
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br