Arizona Sports 620's reaction to Cards pick of Floyd
Three of their favorite players: Iowa tackle Riley Reiff, South Carolina outside linebacker Melvin Ingram and Notre Dame receiver Michael Floyd were all on the board.
The Cardinals went with Floyd, pairing the young stud receiver with Pro Bowler Larry Fitzgerald to form a formidable combo of weapons for Arizona QB Kevin Kolb.
The crowd gathered at Arizona Sports 620's Draft Extravaganza at Talking Stick Resort approved, and so did our talk show hosts.
Here's some rapid reaction from the on-air staff of Arizona Sports 620:
I think this was a great pick by the Arizona Cardinals. I think they had a lot of options there at number 13. I was surprised to see Melvin Ingram was still on the board there. Riley Reiff, the big tackle out of Iowa - that was another direction they could have gone, but I just think the temptation of Michael Floyd and the fact that he is reminiscent of Anquan Boldin - something they've really missed as a number-two wide receiver. I think this was a no- brainer for them.
Maybe the thinking has changed in the National Football League. Maybe you don't need a great offensive line, maybe you have to change the way you get rid of the ball out of that pocket as fast as you possibly can. I really, really like the pick. I think the Arizona Cardinals were very fortunate that Michael Floyd was there and they did the right thing by sticking to their guns and taking him.
You can't argue with (the pick). You need to find out whether or not Kevin Kolb is the future of the Arizona Cardinals and by getting a wide receiver weapon, he now has the weapons to show whether or not he's the quarterback to stay. Personally, I admit, I wanted Melvin Ingram of South Carolina. I thought he could help out and get more pressure on the quarterback, so that would have been my choice, but there's no way I can argue this pick. It's a good pick for the Arizona Cardinals.
I thought the Cardinals made a solid selection with Michael Floyd. There were several ways they could have gone where I think the fans and the media and the Cardinals themselves would have been happy. Of course, if they could have gotten Barron from Alabama, that would have been a great pick as the player to replace Adrian Wilson down the road. If they could have taken Riley Reiff, the offensive tackle out of Iowa, that would have been a great pick because they desperately need an offensive tackle. And of course, they've had a hard time replacing Anquan Boldin. The guys that have tried to replace Boldin have absolutely failed, whether it was Steve Breaston or Early Doucet. Those guys have failed in that number two role. Getting a number two receiver was a need for the Cardinals and they got a great player, now we've got to see what they do in the rest of the draft.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.