Floyd puts troubles behind, looks toward future
The arrest was Floyd's third alcohol-related incident in three years.
The talented player was suspended indefinitely by Fighting Irish head coach Brian Kelly. "While I don't know when Michael will be reinstated, it will not happen until Michael demonstrates he has successfully modified his behavior and the legal and university disciplinary matters have run their respective courses," Kelly said at the time.
By early-August, Floyd had demonstrated his new behavior sufficiently enough to be reinstated, and he went on to enjoy a stellar senior season for Notre Dame, catching a school record 100 passes.
Floyd's turnaround continued Thursday, as the Arizona Cardinals made him the 13th overall pick of the 2012 NFL Draft to the near-unanimous approval of Redbirds fans everywhere.
"I told myself right there that if I want to be in the NFL and make my dreams come true, things can't happen like that," he said. "My motivation was to learn my lesson that I can't do such things like that and that the spotlight is always on me.
"That motivated me to change my life around and make sure I do whatever I have to do to be able to be in the position that I am right now."
With his troubles seemingly behind him, Floyd can now concentrate solely on football, and teaming with Larry Fitzgerald to form a dynamic pass catching duo for the Cardinals.
Both Floyd and Fitzgerald hail from Minnesota, and they've known each other for quite some time.
"He texted me last night as soon as I got picked," Floyd said. "He said congratulations, I'm glad you're a Cardinal. We're going to start working out and get in the books and make sure I'm ready for the season."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.