Updated Apr 30, 2012 - 4:20 pm
Cardinals draft Justin Bethel from Presbyterian at 177
Bethel started four years for Presbyterian and is an effective pass and run defender. He possess good size and athleticism and has been deemed a strong physical presence working on the line of scrimmage.
The 6'0", 200-pound defensive back was considered a sleeper in this year's draft. Bethel is explosive making plays down the field and his versatility allows him to play safety or contribute on special teams. The Cardinals are listing Bethel as a safety but will use him in a variety of different roles.
He is considered to be a true gamer and should blend well in the Cardinals defensive scheme. Bethel is the second defensive back taken by the Cardinals in this year's draft.
Bethel thrived in his senior season and compiled 87 tackles, a sack and had four interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. His quickness contributed to punt and field- goal blocks, as well.
The Big South Conference Defensive Player of the Year opened eyes at the NFL Combine when he showcased his jaw-dropping leaping skills. Bethel recorded a 39.5-inch vertical leap, which was fifth best overall.
Bethel is the first Presbyterian player drafted since 1969.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.