Updated Apr 30, 2012 - 4:20 pm
Cardinals draft Justin Bethel from Presbyterian at 177
Bethel started four years for Presbyterian and is an effective pass and run defender. He possess good size and athleticism and has been deemed a strong physical presence working on the line of scrimmage.
The 6'0", 200-pound defensive back was considered a sleeper in this year's draft. Bethel is explosive making plays down the field and his versatility allows him to play safety or contribute on special teams. The Cardinals are listing Bethel as a safety but will use him in a variety of different roles.
He is considered to be a true gamer and should blend well in the Cardinals defensive scheme. Bethel is the second defensive back taken by the Cardinals in this year's draft.
Bethel thrived in his senior season and compiled 87 tackles, a sack and had four interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. His quickness contributed to punt and field- goal blocks, as well.
The Big South Conference Defensive Player of the Year opened eyes at the NFL Combine when he showcased his jaw-dropping leaping skills. Bethel recorded a 39.5-inch vertical leap, which was fifth best overall.
Bethel is the first Presbyterian player drafted since 1969.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.