Updated May 1, 2012 - 1:13 pm
ESPN's May: Massie is fine, Cardinals could have done more
Projected by some to go as high as the second round, he was the first lineman taken by a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
And, while no one is questioning the selection's value, ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the Cardinals should have done more.
"Here's a player that wouldn't have fallen to the fourth round unless there were red flags," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "The Cardinals got him, and this is a team that gave up 54 sacks last year.
"I thought that they might have found a way to address the offensive line a little earlier in the draft, even trading some picks away from next year to move up in the draft this year."
The Cardinals, remember, did not have a second round pick this year due to including it in the Kevin Kolb trade last summer, meaning they didn't have much of a shot at some of the bigger-name tackles who fell to the second round.
"I know when you've got Michael Floyd sitting there, you've got to get him," May said of the team's first round choice. "But then you've got to become creative in the draft, and I was surprised that (Cardinals GM) Rod Graves and his crew weren't creative enough to get into that second round some place, or even earlier in the third round to get an offensive lineman there."
So, they got Massie, who at 6-foot-6 and 316 pounds could end up being one of the draft's bigger steals. He played against some of the country's best defenders in college, meaning experience could be an advantage early in his career.
"He should have a step ahead of most offensive linemen just going against the competition that he's gone against in the SEC," May said. "Hopefully Russ Grimm will be able to take this player...and hopefully he's an overachiever, because that's what the Cardinals are looking for."
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.