ESPN's May: Massie is fine, Cardinals could have done more
Projected by some to go as high as the second round, he was the first lineman taken by a Cardinals team that could use some help at the position.
And, while no one is questioning the selection's value, ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the Cardinals should have done more.
"Here's a player that wouldn't have fallen to the fourth round unless there were red flags," May told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Tuesday. "The Cardinals got him, and this is a team that gave up 54 sacks last year.
"I thought that they might have found a way to address the offensive line a little earlier in the draft, even trading some picks away from next year to move up in the draft this year."
The Cardinals, remember, did not have a second round pick this year due to including it in the Kevin Kolb trade last summer, meaning they didn't have much of a shot at some of the bigger-name tackles who fell to the second round.
"I know when you've got Michael Floyd sitting there, you've got to get him," May said of the team's first round choice. "But then you've got to become creative in the draft, and I was surprised that (Cardinals GM) Rod Graves and his crew weren't creative enough to get into that second round some place, or even earlier in the third round to get an offensive lineman there."
So, they got Massie, who at 6-foot-6 and 316 pounds could end up being one of the draft's bigger steals. He played against some of the country's best defenders in college, meaning experience could be an advantage early in his career.
"He should have a step ahead of most offensive linemen just going against the competition that he's gone against in the SEC," May said. "Hopefully Russ Grimm will be able to take this player...and hopefully he's an overachiever, because that's what the Cardinals are looking for."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.