Whisenhunt on developing young QB Ryan Lindley
One draft pick that was a bit of head scratcher was the selection of San Diego State quarterback Ryan Lindley 185th overall. While Lindley boasts a strong frame and was a consistent presence on the field for the Aztecs, he struggled mightily with his accuracy.
Still, when Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt saw Lindley still available in the sixth round, he trusted not only the draft board but also his gut instinct on the potential of the young signal caller.
"This year [Lindley] lost his receivers," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "He wasn't as productive this season, but he's been a productive college quarterback and he's a big guy that can move so when you come to that point in the draft and you see him on your board and he's sticking out and his measurable, his height, his size, his speed, his arm strength, they were all good."
For Whisenhunt, the opportunity to draft and cultivate a quarterback with Lindley's skills, makeup and upside was too tempting a prospect to pass up.
"Then you look at his production in that offense, it was good and then you think about the quarterback position in this league and having to try to develop young guys, that's what kind of came together and why we picked him where we did," Whisenhunt explained.
Whisenhunt is interested in getting his first glimpse of Lindley in camp over the coming weeks and monitoring the growth of his young quarterback under the watchful eye of new quarterbacks coach John McNulty.
"I am anxious to see him in here in a couple weeks in our minicamp and see where he is and see where he can progress through training camp," Whisenhunt said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.