Updated May 2, 2012 - 10:30 am
Whisenhunt on developing young QB Ryan Lindley
One draft pick that was a bit of head scratcher was the selection of San Diego State quarterback Ryan Lindley 185th overall. While Lindley boasts a strong frame and was a consistent presence on the field for the Aztecs, he struggled mightily with his accuracy.
Still, when Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt saw Lindley still available in the sixth round, he trusted not only the draft board but also his gut instinct on the potential of the young signal caller.
"This year [Lindley] lost his receivers," Whisenhunt told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "He wasn't as productive this season, but he's been a productive college quarterback and he's a big guy that can move so when you come to that point in the draft and you see him on your board and he's sticking out and his measurable, his height, his size, his speed, his arm strength, they were all good."
For Whisenhunt, the opportunity to draft and cultivate a quarterback with Lindley's skills, makeup and upside was too tempting a prospect to pass up.
"Then you look at his production in that offense, it was good and then you think about the quarterback position in this league and having to try to develop young guys, that's what kind of came together and why we picked him where we did," Whisenhunt explained.
Whisenhunt is interested in getting his first glimpse of Lindley in camp over the coming weeks and monitoring the growth of his young quarterback under the watchful eye of new quarterbacks coach John McNulty.
"I am anxious to see him in here in a couple weeks in our minicamp and see where he is and see where he can progress through training camp," Whisenhunt said.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.