Updated May 14, 2012 - 3:16 pm
Cardinals sign four, including former ASU defensive back
The team announced Monday it had signed safety Eddie Elder, running back Javarris James, cornerback Larry Parker and kicker/punter Ricky Schmitt.
Elder should be familiar to Valley fans, as the 5-foot-10, 185-pound player played his last two seasons for Arizona State, where he tallied 130 tackles, three interceptions, seven passes defensed, one sack and one forced fumble.
The 6-foot, 215-pound James is a cousin of former Cardinals running back Edgerrin James. He spent the 2010 season with the Indianapolis Colts, playing in 10 games and leading the team with six rushing touchdowns. He was released by the Colts in September, 2011, and was out of football last season.
A two-year starter at San Diego State, Parker led the Aztecs with seven interceptions last season, while setting career highs with 65 tackles, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery as a senior.
Schmitt, who originally signed with the Cardinals as a rookie free agent in 2007, has spent time on practice squads with Pittsburgh and Oakland, and made his NFL debut with San Francisco in 2009. He made two of three field goal attempts and both extra points in the game.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!