Updated May 15, 2012 - 4:40 pm
Cardinals rookie Massie can't wait to face team's stars
Graded by many to be a second-round talent, that he fell to the Cardinals at 112 is something that will motivate him going forward, as he looks to prove to everyone that he should have been taken sooner.
"I've got a chip on my shoulder, I felt like other teams kind of doubted me, my ability, and so when I put the pads on on Sunday they're going to realize they should have drafted me high," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday.
Massie started the process of proving himself last weekend in the rookie-only minicamp, and is now looking forward to testing his skills against the team's best defenders.
"I'm kind of anxious," Massie said. "I want to block the Darnell Docketts and, they've got a lot of good defensive ends there I'm just ready to compete with."
How Massie fares in OTAs and training camp will go a long way towards determining whether or not he opens the season as a starter. The team has a need at right tackle, and the 6-foot-6, 316-pounder from Mississippi could be exactly what the team needs.
Knowing that, Massie is preparing as if he's going to get a significant amount of playing time this season.
While having a fourth-round pick starting from Day 1 may not be a good sign for a team hoping to reach the playoffs, Massie is one of those guys whose draft stock could belie his ability.
The Cardinals can only hope.
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Arizona Cardinals president Michael Bidwill on schedule: NFL 'gave us a lot of respect'
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinalsí draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.