Updated May 15, 2012 - 4:40 pm
Cardinals rookie Massie can't wait to face team's stars
Graded by many to be a second-round talent, that he fell to the Cardinals at 112 is something that will motivate him going forward, as he looks to prove to everyone that he should have been taken sooner.
"I've got a chip on my shoulder, I felt like other teams kind of doubted me, my ability, and so when I put the pads on on Sunday they're going to realize they should have drafted me high," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday.
Massie started the process of proving himself last weekend in the rookie-only minicamp, and is now looking forward to testing his skills against the team's best defenders.
"I'm kind of anxious," Massie said. "I want to block the Darnell Docketts and, they've got a lot of good defensive ends there I'm just ready to compete with."
How Massie fares in OTAs and training camp will go a long way towards determining whether or not he opens the season as a starter. The team has a need at right tackle, and the 6-foot-6, 316-pounder from Mississippi could be exactly what the team needs.
Knowing that, Massie is preparing as if he's going to get a significant amount of playing time this season.
While having a fourth-round pick starting from Day 1 may not be a good sign for a team hoping to reach the playoffs, Massie is one of those guys whose draft stock could belie his ability.
The Cardinals can only hope.
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.