Updated May 15, 2012 - 4:40 pm
Cardinals rookie Massie can't wait to face team's stars
Graded by many to be a second-round talent, that he fell to the Cardinals at 112 is something that will motivate him going forward, as he looks to prove to everyone that he should have been taken sooner.
"I've got a chip on my shoulder, I felt like other teams kind of doubted me, my ability, and so when I put the pads on on Sunday they're going to realize they should have drafted me high," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday.
Massie started the process of proving himself last weekend in the rookie-only minicamp, and is now looking forward to testing his skills against the team's best defenders.
"I'm kind of anxious," Massie said. "I want to block the Darnell Docketts and, they've got a lot of good defensive ends there I'm just ready to compete with."
How Massie fares in OTAs and training camp will go a long way towards determining whether or not he opens the season as a starter. The team has a need at right tackle, and the 6-foot-6, 316-pounder from Mississippi could be exactly what the team needs.
Knowing that, Massie is preparing as if he's going to get a significant amount of playing time this season.
While having a fourth-round pick starting from Day 1 may not be a good sign for a team hoping to reach the playoffs, Massie is one of those guys whose draft stock could belie his ability.
The Cardinals can only hope.
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.